This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. To learn more, please read my disclosure policy.
Last Updated on September 6, 2022 by Aimee
This Apple Slab Pie with Crumble Topping contains all of the same ingredients as a traditional apple pie, but makes it so much simpler to pull together. Because it’s in sheet pan form, it also serves more people. Serve warm and top with your favorite vanilla ice cream. It’s the perfect fall dessert!
Ingredients needed to make this recipe
There are just a few simple ingredients needed to pull this recipe together. They include:
- Pie Crust – you can make your own, but I am using refrigerated pie dough for simplicity
- Apples – I like a combination of Gala (or Fuji) and Granny Smith
- Flour – divided
- Sugar – divided
- Apple Pie Spice – you can also make your own (recipe included below)
- Quick Cooking or Old Fashioned Oats
- Cold Butter – cut into pieces
- Sanding Sugar – optional, for the leaves
How to make Apple Slab Pie with Crumble Topping
The first step is to prepare the apples. I’ve chosen a combination of Gala (or Fuji) and Granny Smith for this recipe. Peel, corn and dice into chunks.
To the bowl of apple chunks add flour, sugar, apple pie spice and lemon juice (if your apples are beginning to oxidize). This is optional, but also adds a nice bit of extra tartness to your pie.
To make 1 TEASPOON of your own apple pie spice, you’ll need:
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp Allspice
- Dash of Cloves (or even Cardamom, if you have it)
- Dash of Ginger
Please note: the recipe card is for a HALF sheet pan, so you’ll need to double the pie spice for a total of two teaspoons.
Toss this all together and set aside.
Next, add flour, sugar, quick cooking or old fashioned oats and cold butter to a bowl and mash with a fork or pastry blender until crumbly.
On a lightly floured surface, roll until an even thickness. They generally come round, so you’ll need more than one. Press the pie dough into a sheet pan. I am using 2 sheets for a quarter sheet pan which is what is called for in a HALF sheet pan. I would personally buy two boxes for a half sheet pan and use 3 of them. Or, make your own dough 🙂 Press where the edges overlap and crimp the edges, trimming where necessary.
Place the apples into the crust and top with the crumble. Bake at 425 degrees until golden and the apples are tender. This took about 25-30 minutes for me.
I took the scraps and a fall leaf plunger cutter (available here) to separately bake the leaves with a bit of sanding sugar. These are completely optional. They puff up a bit and look really cute on top of the baked slab pie.
Allow to cool slightly and serve with your favorite vanilla ice cream on top. SO good!
Tender flaky crust, sweet and juicy apples, that crumble topping served with vanilla ice cream? It’s so delicious.
Did you make my Apple Slab Pie with Crumble Topping? Leave a comment below and let me know what you thought. You can also tag me on Instagram @aimee_stock I love seeing your creations!
Apple Slab Pie
- Half Sheet Pan the recipe provided below is for a standard HALF sheet pan
- Rolling Pin
- Leaf Cutters optional
- 2 round Pie Crusts or you could make your own
- 1/2 c Sugar
- 3 tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Apple Pie Spice or Pumpkin Pie Spice (or homemade recipe provided in the blog post above – doubled)
- 8-9 medium Apples Peeled, cored and cut into chunks
FOR THE CRUMBLE TOPPING:
- 1 c All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 c Sugar
- 1/4 c Quick Cooking (or Old Fashioned) Oats
- 1/2 c COLD Butter cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Prep the apples and toss with the sugar and spices. If your apples start to turn color, you could opt to give them a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Prepare the crumble topping and return to the refrigerator until ready to use.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the two dough rounds and press together to fit your pan. Any excess can be used to create fluted edges or separately baked and sugared pastry leaves (as shown).
- Add the apples to the dough and then add the topping. Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until golden and the apples are tender. This will really depend upon how your oven cooks.
- Cool slightly, place sugared baked pastry leaves on top and serve with vanilla ice cream.