This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. To learn more, please read my disclosure policy.
This Cheesy Broccoli Rice with Chicken all comes together in one skillet AND in under 30 minutes!
How do I make Cheesy Broccoli Rice with Chicken?
To a large skillet over medium high heat, add 1 tablespoon of oil.
To that, add finely diced onion and saute until tender. This should take just a few minutes.
I decided to deviate from the traditional chicken breast here and used chicken thighs which are so much more tender.
Season with salt and pepper, sauteing until the chicken is cooked through with a few browned edges.
Add garlic and cook for one minute.
Move the chicken over to one side of the pan and add another tablespoon of oil.
To that oil, stir in the uncooked rice. Give it a few stirs until all of the rice is coated before proceeding.
Next comes the vegetable broth. I actually use Better Than Bouillon because I can make the broth as strong as I want it. I used about 1 1/2 teaspoons of the bouillon to 1 1/4 cups of boiling water. If you are using a prepared chicken broth or stock, just measure 1 1/4 cups.
Bring the broth to a boil and cover until the rice is nearly cooked through.
While there is still a bit of liquid in the pan, add the broccoli. I am using frozen broccoli that I have defrosted, but you can also use fresh.
Cover and cook until the broccoli is tender and the rice has absorbed the liquid. Stir occasionally to ensure the starchy rice doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
Add one half of the cheese and give a good stir.
Top with the remaining cheese.
Garnish with a bit of chopped parsley and serve immediately.
One of my all-time favorite skillet dinners, I think you’ll love it too!
Did you make this recipe for Cheesy Broccoli Rice with Chicken? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought.
If you enjoyed the recipe, please share, comment, like or PIN. It really helps me out so much 🙂
Cheesy Broccoli Rice
- Non-Stick Skillet
- 2 tbsp Oil DIVIDED (1 tbsp for onions, 1 tbsp for rice)
- 1/4 c Onion finely diced
- 1/2 lb Boneless Chicken Thighs diced
- 1/2 tsp Garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 c Uncooked Long Grain White Rice
- 1 1/4 c Broccoli chopped
- 1 1/4 c Vegetable (or Chicken) Broth
- 1 c Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese or shredded Cheddar blend
- 1 tbsp Parsley chopped
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Add the diced onion and saute until just tender. This should take just a few minutes.
- Add the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Saute until the chicken is just cooked through.
- Add minced garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Move the cooked chicken over to one side of the pan and add 1 tablespoon of oil.
- To that oil, add the uncooked rice and stir to coat. About 2 minutes.
- Add the broth, give it a stir and cover until the rice is almost cooked but some liquid remains. This should take about 12-15 minutes or so.
- Add the broccoli, give it a stir and cover again until the broccoli is tender and the rice has absorbed the liquid. About 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add one half of the cheese. Stir to combine.
- Top with the remaining cheese and garnish with parsley. Serve immediately.