This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. To learn more, please read my disclosure policy.
These Chewy Pumpkin Ginger Cookies are everything you love about molasses cookies and pumpkin spice all rolled into one! They are soft, yet chewy with a slightly crisp exterior thanks to being dipped into sugar before baking. Let me show you how I make them.
How to make Chewy Pumpkin Ginger Cookies
The first step is to cream softened butter with sugar until the sugar has dissolved. It should appear lighter and almost fluffy in texture.
To that, add molasses and pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling).
In a separate bowl, I like to whisk together the dry ingredients before adding them. This just ensures that the spices are well distributed. They include:
- all purpose flour
- ground ginger
- baking soda
- ground cloves
- and salt
Add to the butter mixture until well combined.
Using a cookie scoop, place into a bowl filled with granulated sugar. The dough is sticky and the sugar will adhere well to it. Roll to form balls and place onto a lined baking sheet. I sometimes roll them again in the sugar but you don’t have to do this.
Now dip a small glass into that same sugar and lightly flatten the cookies.
Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or just until golden on the bottom. They bake up soft and will set as they cool. Remove to a cooling rack after about 10 minutes on the tray.
I just love these cookies. They are so tasty and easy to make. Such a crowd pleaser!
Obligatory bite shot 😉 I hope you give these a try.
Did you make my Chewy Pumpkin Ginger Cookies? Leave a comment below and let me know what you thought. You can also tag me on Instagram @aimee_stock I love seeing your creations.
For even more Christmas cookie recipes, click here!
Chewy Pumpkin Ginger Cookies
- Hand (or Stand) Mixer
- Small Cookie Scoop
- Lined Baking Sheet
- 3/4 c Butter softened to room temperature
- 1 c Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 c Pumpkin Puree NOT pumpkin pie filling
- 1/4 c Molasses
- 2 1/4 c All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cloves
- 1/4 tsp Salt you can reduce this amount if you are using salted butter
- Additional Sugar for rolling
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheets with either parchment or silicone mats.
- Cream the room temperature butter and sugar together until lighter in color and fluffy in texture. Do not over beat.
- Add the molasses and pumpkin puree. Mix to combine.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients and add to the butter mixture, mixing until combined.
- Using a cookie scoop, place into a bowl of granulated sugar and roll until fully coated. The dough is soft, they will not form perfect rounds.
- Place onto the cookie sheet and using a drinking glass that you have dipped into that same bowl of sugar, slightly flatten the balls.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or just until the bottoms of the cookies are brown. They will bake soft and set up as they cool. Cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack for the remaining time.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for about 4-5 days.