This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. To learn more, please read my disclosure policy.
Chicken and Broccoli Penne Alfredo is one of my go-to, all time favorite meals. It’s so simple and yet just really hits the spot. I add seasoned grilled chicken breast to cooked penne and steamed broccoli. Toss with my homemade Alfredo sauce and serve with your favorite crusty bread. Garnish with a bit of parsley, season with a final sprinkling of parmesan and dinner is served in less than 30 minutes!
Cooking the grilled chicken
Start with a good pan (or use an outdoor grill if you have one). I bought this grill pan and it does an amazing job. It also cleans up like a dream! (*affiliate link)
You can use any seasoning blend that you enjoy. I chose an Italian blend and added just a bit of oil to chicken breast first so that it would stick. When you are using a good non-stick pan, you need less oil.
Brown the chicken breasts on both sides and allow to rest. The internal temperature after resting should reach 165 degrees.
How to make homemade Alfredo sauce
You can absolutely use your favorite prepared Alfredo sauce, but if you’d like to make your own, it couldn’t be simpler.
In a skillet, you’ll add butter and heavy cream until it starts to bubble. Do this over medium-low heat as dairy will boil over in a heartbeat! Lower the heat and simmer until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat and add the parmesan. If it seems too thick, you can always thin with a little more heavy cream. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with freshly chopped parsley. See? I told you it was easy 🙂
By the way, this flat whisk is a must if you make a lot of sauces! This is the one I use (*affiliate link)
After the chicken has had a chance to rest, slice into thin strips.
Assembling the Chicken and Broccoli Penne Alfredo
Add the grilled chicken and pasta that still has a little bite to it to the sauce.
Add steamed (or microwaved) broccoli florets and parmesan cheese.
Give everything a good stir and taste for seasoning, adding more salt and pepper if necessary.
I always like to garnish with freshly chopped Italian parsley, a pinch of salt and sprinkling of parmesan cheese.
Did you make my Chicken and Broccoli Penne Alfredo recipe? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought or you can always tag me with photos on Instagram @aimee_stock I love seeing what you come up with 🙂
Chicken and Broccoli Penne Alfredo
- Non-Stick Grill Pan
- Non-Stick Skillet
- Whisk or Flat Whisk
- Large Stock Pot (for pasta)
FOR THE PENNE PASTA:
- Kosher salt to taste, for the pasta water
- 1/2 lb Penne Pasta
FOR THE ALFREDO SAUCE:
- 1/2 c Butter
- 2 c Heavy Cream
- 1 1/2 c Parmesan Cheese freshly grated is best, plus more for serving
- 2 tbsp Fresh Italian Parsley chopped, plus more for garnish
- Salt & Pepper to taste
FOR THE GRILLED CHICKEN:
- 2 medium Chicken Breasts
- Oil just enough to lightly coat the chicken
- Italian Seasoning Blend to taste
- Steamed Broccoli
- Sprinkling of Salt to taste
- Parmesan Cheese to taste
- Fresh Italian Parsley chopped, for garnish
TO MAKE THE PENNE PASTA:
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water, add the pasta and cook according to the instructions on your box or package. Cook to al dente, or with still a little bite to it. It will continue to cook in the sauce.
TO MAKE THE ALFREDO SAUCE:
- In a skillet, you'll add butter and heavy cream until it starts to bubble. Do this over medium-low heat as cream will boil over in a heartbeat! Lower the heat and simmer until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat and add the parmesan. If it seems too thick, you can always thin with a little more heavy cream. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with freshly chopped parsley.
TO MAKE THE GRILLED CHICKEN:
- Lightly oil the chicken breasts and season with Italian seasoning. Place onto a hot grill or grill pan, cooking until golden and the internal temperature reaches about 165 degrees. It will also continue to cook in the sauce. Slice on the bias.
TO MAKE THE STEAMED BROCCOLI:
- I microwave frozen broccoli until just barely tender. Once again, it will see some cooking time in the sauce so you don't want to over cook it. If you can find the C&W brand Premium florets, I highly encourage it. They are huge and really delicious.
- All that's left to do is to add the chicken and penne to the Alfredo sauce. Add the broccoli and parmesan and give everything a good toss. Allow it to simmer until thickened and everything is fully cooked. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley, another sprinkling of parmesan and a pinch more of salt if you think it needs it.