This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. To learn more, please read my disclosure policy.
Last Updated on March 12, 2022 by Aimee
This is my take on a tender, juicy Chicken Fried Chicken with Country Gravy. I pan fried the chicken until golden on both sides and then finished it in the oven until is was just barely 165 degrees. I then allowed it to rest for a few minutes and man oh man was that a juicy chicken breast! Served with mashed potatoes and your favorite veggie then topped with that delicious peppery white gravy…yum! This is comfort food at its best.
What is chicken fried chicken?
Chicken Fried Chicken is a thin, boneless chicken breast that is seasoned and dredged in flour, dipped into an egg mixture and finally, back into the flour. Pan fried until golden, the drippings are utilized to make a white peppery gravy.
What is the difference between chicken fried chicken and fried chicken?
“Chicken fried” refers more to the method in this case whereas fried chicken refers to bone-in, breaded and deep fried in oil.
How to make Chicken Fried Chicken
We begin with a dry mixture that contains:
- All purpose flour
- Garlic Powder
- Baking Powder
- and Baking Soda
The wet mixture contains:
- Milk (or Buttermilk)
- and Hot Sauce
Add thin chicken breasts that you have seasoned with salt and pepper into the flour mixture. Shake off any excess and place into the egg mixture. Return to the flour mixture, again shaking off any excess.
Side note: I don’t pound them really thin, I just make sure they are of equal size and thickness so they cook at the same rate.
In a skillet over medium high heat, add the coated chicken breasts and cook on each side until golden. You can cook these in the skillet until they reach 165 degrees or remove them when golden and finish cooking in a 350 degree oven which is what i did. They were so moist and tender with this method.
I reserved the pan drippings to make my country gravy.
Add the chicken breast to a plate with mashed potatoes and your favorite veggies. I went with brown sugar glazed carrots for a nice contrast and sweetness.
How to make Country Gravy
Using those reserved pan drippings, add butter, milk, salt and pepper (lots of pepper). Whisk to combine.
Liberally spoon over your chicken and mashed potatoes.
Just look how tender and juicy that chicken is! This is a really simple and flavorful meal. I hope you give it a try.
For even more chicken recipes, click here!
Did you make my Chicken Fried Chicken with Country Gravy? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought. You can also tag me with your photos on Instagram @aimee_stock I love seeing what you come up with! 🙂
Chicken Fried Chicken with Country Gravy
- Non-Stick Skillet
- Lined Baking Sheet
FOR BREADING THE CHICKEN:
- 1 large Chicken Breast sliced in half lengthwise and pounded evenly
- 1 c All Purpose Flour
- 1 large Egg beaten
- 1/2 c Milk OR Buttermilk
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Hot Sauce more or less, to taste
- 1/8 tsp Garlic Powder
- Oil for frying, enough to coat the bottom of your pan
FOR THE GRAVY:
- Reserved Pan Drippings
- 1 1/4 c Milk
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp All Purpose Flour
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice a chicken breast in half and pound between two pieces of parchment only to even them out, not to make them thin. Season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk together flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, milk, salt, pepper and hot sauce.
- Add each chicken breast to the flour, shaking off any excess. Then into the egg mixture and back into the flour mixture.
- Preheat a non stick skillet over medium high heat and add oil. Carefully place each breast into the oil only cooking until golden, then flip.
- Remove the chicken breasts to a lined cookie sheet and bake until a thermometer reaches 165 degrees. Do not over bake. Allow to rest while we prepare the gravy.
- Using any residual pan drippings and/or oil, add butter and flour to make a roux. Whisk in the milk slowly to avoid any lumps. Season with salt and plenty of freshly cracked black pepper. Spoon over the chicken.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and your favorite veggie.