This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. To learn more, please read my disclosure policy.
This now discontinued restaurant classic was made famous by Chili’s, but you can easily make it at home! My Chili’s Monterey Chicken Recipe copycat recipe features juicy baked chicken breasts, smothered in barbecue sauce, topped with Monterey Jack cheese, and of course, crispy bits of bacon. Serve with a baked potato and sour cream. It’s SO good!
How to make Chili’s Monterey Chicken Recipe
There are just a few ingredients in this recipe which makes preparation a breeze! They include:
- Boneless chicken breasts, sliced in half horizontally
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Your favorite barbecue sauce
- Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- Parsley, chopped
- Green onions, sliced
- Tomato, diced
Serve with a baked potato and more of the barbecue sauce and/or sour cream.
Slice chicken breasts in half horizontally. I don’t pound them however. Season with salt and pepper on both sides.
Place some of the barbecue sauce on the bottom of the baking pan and also coat the chicken breast. Use your favorite barbecue sauce for this recipe.
Bake at 350 degrees until a thermometer inserted reads 165 degrees. Mine took about 20-25 minutes but this will depend on the thickness of your chicken breasts.
While the chicken is baking, you can cook up the bacon and remove to paper towels to cool. We’ll chop it once it crisps up a bit.
Now that the chicken is cooked and the sauce is bubbling, add the grated Monterey cheese and diced tomatoes. Place under the broiler just until the cheese melts.
Add the chopped parsley and bacon. Serve with sliced green onions.
The chicken is super juicy and tender. I love serving it with a baked potato and sour cream. Don’t forget some of the left over warm barbecue sauce. It’s SO good!
This is such a quick and easy dinner, perfect for weeknight meals, I hope you give it a try!
Did you make my Chili’s Monterey Chicken Recipe? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought. You can also tag me on Instagram @aimee_stock I love seeing your creations! 🙂
Also be sure to check out my French Onion Chicken Recipe!
Chili’s Monterey Chicken Recipe
- 1 Oven Safe Baking Dish
- 1 large Chicken Breast sliced in half horizontally
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1/2 c Barbecue Sauce or more, if desired
- 3/4 c Monterey Jack Cheese grated
- 2 tbsp Tomato diced
- 1 tbsp Parsley chopped
- 2 strips Bacon cooked, cooled and chopped
- 1 Green Onion (Scallion) sliced, for garnish
- Baked Potato
- Sour Cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice chicken breast in half horizontally and season well with salt and pepper.
- Add barbecue sauce to the bottom of your oven-safe baking dish. Add the chicken to the baking dish and coat the chicken well with more barbecue sauce.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a thermometer inserted reads 165 degrees.
- While the chicken is baking, cook the bacon. Drain on paper towels. Chop the bacon once cooled and crisp.
- Turn on the broiler or increase the heat to 425 degrees.
- Add grated cheese and diced tomatoes to the top of each breast and broil/heat until the cheese is melted.
- Add chopped parsley and bacon. Serve with baked potato and a dollop of sour cream and garnish with sliced green onions.
- I like to give the chicken another sprinkling of salt and pepper before serving and spoon some of the barbecue sauce on the plate for dipping.