This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. To learn more, please read my disclosure policy.
This Classic Green Bean Casserole Recipe is the side dish everyone craves during the holidays. It’s simple to make but with a few tips, you can take this recipe from good to great! Let me show you how to make it.
How to make this Classic Green Bean Casserole Recipe
The first (and most important) tip I have for you is to use FRESH green beans, not canned. Canned just do not hold up in this recipe. I cannot stress this one enough.
Wash and trim the ends off of the green beans, then cut into bite sized pieces. Because we are using fresh green beans and they are a bit firm, I like to par cook these by blanching or steaming and then cool completely. They will finish cooking in the oven.
I also use mushrooms in this recipe. I’ve tried it with fresh mushrooms and I actually prefer canned. Just drain them and toss them into the undiluted Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom soup.
Add soy sauce.
Season well with salt and pepper.
Add the cut green beans and give a good stir.
Spread the mixture into a baking dish.
To keep things traditional, I’m using crispy fried onions. These are very readily available in grocery stores nowadays. I put them on literally everything! Yummmy 🙂
I like to mix some in and place some on top. Bake until the soup is bubbling and the top is golden.
Allow the casserole to cool slight before serving. It will thicken a bit as it rests.
Did you make my Classic Green Bean Casserole Recipe? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought. You can also tag me with your creations @aimee_stock on Instagram. I always love seeing what you come up with 🙂
Classic Green Bean Casserole Recipe
- 8" Baking Dish
- 1 Can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 7 oz Canned Mushrooms drained measurement is 4 oz
- 1/2 c Milk
- 1 tsp Soy Sauce
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- pinch Black Pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs Green Beans par-cooked (blanched or steamed), SEE OPTIONS IN NOTES
- 1 1/2 c Crispy Fried Onions or to taste
- Prep the green beans. If using fresh, wash, trim and cut into pieces. Par-cook by blanching or steaming. Cool completely. If using frozen green beans, thaw and par-cook by blanching or steaming. Cool completely.If using canned green beans, no pre-cooking required. Just drain and use as is.
- Stir the soup, milk, soy sauce, black pepper and beans.
- Stir in some of the crispy onions, top with the rest.
- Bake at 350°F. for 25 minutes or until the bean mixture is hot and bubbling.