This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. To learn more, please read my disclosure policy.
This easy Classic Potato Salad Recipe has been handed down from my grandmother, to my mother and then to me and my cousins. It’s a summer favorite made with mustard and eggs.
What Type of Potato Is Best for Potato Salad
I must admit, I use Russet potatoes which are not the mainstream choice for potato salad. If you aren’t careful, you can over cook these and you’ll have mashed potatoes. That being said, I have been using them my whole life and the key is to peel and dice them, then cook just until fork tender. Remove and cool.
Alternately, a firmer potato that holds its shape, such as a Yukon Gold, is a great option and the deep yellow color only adds to the dish.
How to Cook Potatoes for Potato Salad
You’ll want to dice the potatoes so they are generally the same size to ensure even cooking. Drain and cool on a plate. In a pinch, you can do this part ahead and chill the potatoes in the refrigerator. You’ll get slightly better absorption of flavor if you mix them with the ingredients at room temperature.
Ingredients you’ll need to make this recipe:
- Potatoes, diced and cooked until just fork tender
- Yellow Mustard
- Carrots, grated
- Celery, finely diced
- Pimientos, drained
- Parsley, chopped
- and Hard Boiled Eggs, plus one more for garnish
Gently combine the ingredients in a mixing bowl.
Tips to make the best Classic Potato Salad Recipe
- Mayonnaise choice – it’s best to use your personal favorite, ours is Hellman’s/Best Foods
- Mustard – it adds tanginess, but you could also opt for white vinegar (or both!)
- Chilling before serving – I do like to chill my potatoes before mixing, but this is optional
- Season well! The potatoes require a lot of seasoning, so add salt and pepper to taste
As you can see, the mixture is pretty loose when you mix warm potatoes with the dressing. This salad is best refrigerated for several hours or even better, overnight.
What recipes go with potato salad?
This recipe works as a great side to just about any of your favorite main dishes. Here are a just a few of our favorites:
- THE BEST BAKED BEANS WITH BACON
- EASY CHEESY ZUCCHINI SQUARES RECIPE
- OVEN BAKED BARBECUE CHICKEN THIGHS
Did you make my Classic Potato Salad Recipe? Leave a comment below and let me know what you thought. You can also tag me with your photos on Instagram @aimee_stock I love seeing your creations!
Classic Potato Salad Recipe
- 4-5 medium Potatoes Russet, Gold, etc., cut into cubes & boiled until just fork tender (DO NOT OVER COOK)
- 3 large Eggs hard boiled and sliced, reserve one for garnish if desired
- 1/4 c Mayonnaise use your favorite
- 1/4 c Celery finely diced
- 1/4 c Carrots finely grated
- 1 tbsp Yellow Mustard
- 1 tbsp Parsley chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1-2 tbsp Pimientos drained, to taste
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Paprika to taste, plus more for garnish
- Peel and cube the potatoes, boiling until just fork tender. Do NOT over cook them. Cool in a single layer, chill if you have time. They are less fragile when chilled.
- Combine the remaining ingredients and garnish with a sliced egg, parsley, paprika and pepper. Combine with the potatoes and chill until ready to serve.
- Serve cold.