This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. To learn more, please read my disclosure policy.
Last Updated on April 26, 2022 by Aimee
This Easy Homemade Pizza Recipe features my absolute favorite focaccia-like crust. It’s so easy to make and you can top it with just about anything!
How to make homemade pizza dough
It takes just a few simple ingredients to make homemade pizza dough. They include:
- Bread Flour (all purpose would produce a flatter, chewier dough)
- Lukewarm Water
- Vegetable or Olive oil
- and Instant Dry Yeast
I use a stand mixer with a dough hook to combine and begin kneading the dough and then finish kneading on the board until a smooth ball is formed. You could also do this completely by hand.
Place in a lightly greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap or a lint free kitchen towel. Place in a warm, but not hot, place to rise for about 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
Spread the dough into a round pizza pan or just use a quarter sheet pan as I have here. Cover once again with plastic wrap or a towel and allow to rise again for another 30 minutes.
While the dough is rising, add butter, onions and a bit of sugar to a non stick skillet cooking over medium heat until golden and caramelized.
Once the onions are cooked and the dough has risen, preheat the oven while you assemble the pizza. You’ll need:
- Pizza Sauce
- Mild Italian Sausage
- Sliced Mushrooms
- Shredded Mozzarella
- and the cooked Onions
Time to assemble! Place a thin layer of sauce on the dough then add your toppings such as sausage, onions, mushrooms and finally the shredded mozzarella.
Bake at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes or until golden and crisp on the edges. You’ll also want to lift and check that the bottom of the pizza is golden and cooked through.
Doesn’t that look amazing? Garnish with a bit of freshly chopped parsley and allow to cool for a few minutes before attempting to slice.
Slice into squares using a sharp knife or pizza cutter. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt just before serving.
Also be sure to check out my Caramelized Onion Focaccia. It’s delicious! 🙂
Did you make my Easy Homemade Pizza Recipe? Leave a comment below and let me know what you thought. You can also tag me with your photos on Instagram @aimee_stock I love seeing your creations!
Easy Homemade Pizza Recipe
- Stand Mixer optional
- Pizza Pan or 1/4 Sheet Pan
FOR THE PIZZA DOUGH:
- 3/4 c Water Room Temperature to Lukewarm
- 2 tbsp Vegetable or Olive Oil
- 2 c Bread Flour
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Dry Yeast
FOR THE PIZZA:
- 1/3 c Pizza Sauce more or less to taste
- 1 small Onion that you have caramelized (in butter with a teaspoon of sugar)
- 7 oz Mushrooms sliced (I used canned)
- 1 link Sweet or Mild Italian Sausage casings removed and broken into pieces
- 1 c Mozzarella shredded
- Parsley chopped, for garnish
- Using a mixer fitted with a dough hook (or by hand), combine the ingredients together, kneading on the counter to form a smooth ball. Place into a bowl and coat with a very small amount of oil, covering with plastic wrap or a lint free kitchen towel. Set aside in a warm (but not hot) place for about 30 minutes, or until doubled.
- Meanwhile, add butter, onions and teaspoon of sugar to a non stick skillet over medium heat. Cook slowly and stir occasionally until golden and caramelized. Allow to cool.
- After 30 minutes, spread the dough onto a pizza pan or a small (quarter sized) sheet pan using your fingers to press it into place. Cover and allow to rise for another 30 minutes while we prep the rest of our ingredients. This is a good time to preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove the casings from the sausage, shred the mozzarella and drain the mushrooms (or slice if using fresh).
- Spread the pizza sauce onto the dough, then add your toppings. Finish with the shredded mozzarella and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden and crisp on the edges. Be sure to check the bottom for doneness by lifting a corner of the pizza.
- Allow to cool for just a few minutes before slicing. Garnish with a sprinkling of freshly chopped Italian parsley, if desired.