This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. To learn more, please read my disclosure policy.
Last Updated on April 10, 2022 by Aimee Stock
This Easy Pepper Steak Stir Fry Recipe is ready in just about 20 minutes (including prep time) which makes this a perfect weeknight meal. The steak is cooked quickly, so it’s tender and it’s paired with onions and peppers in a rich, velvety sauce. Served over white rice, this is one meal you’ll make again and again!
What type of meat can I use for this recipe?
You can use just about any cut of meat here. This recipe utilizes a marinating process that utilizes baking soda and cornstarch which acts as a tenderizer. I am using top round and a great tip is to slice the steak when it is partially frozen. Not only is it easier, but it makes for perfect slices!
You can learn more about the tenderizing process here in my Restaurant Style Beef and Broccoli Recipe!
Whisk together the marinade ingredients and add about two tablespoons to the beef. Reserve the rest for the sauce later. Toss together the steak and marinade, setting aside at room temperature while we prepare and cook the veggies.
How to make Pepper Steak Stir Fry
Since this recipe moves quickly, as do most stir fry recipes, it’s important to get everything prepared and ready to go. I cut onions and peppers into 1/2″ pieces. I also sliced the green onions for garnish.
In one teaspoon of oil over medium high heat, stir fry the veggies until they are the desired tenderness and a bit golden on some of the edges. Remove to a plate.
Add another teaspoon of oil to the same pan and over high heat, sear the first side. Do not flip. The steak will finish in the sauce.
Add the cooked veggies back to the pan along with the remaining marinade to create the sauce.
Due to the cornstarch, this will thicken very quickly. It’s best to cook fast and hot so as not to overcook the steak. Stir constantly. It goes from this…
…to this in just a matter or a minute or so.
Serve immediately over white rice and garnish with green onions and a sprinkling of white sesame seeds.
Did you make my Easy Pepper Steak Stir Fry Recipe? Leave a comment below and let me know what you thought. You can also tag me with your photos on Instagram @aimee_stock I love seeing your creations!
Easy Pepper Steak Stir Fry Recipe
- 1 Non Stick Skillet OR Wok
FOR THE VEGGIES:
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1/2 c Onion cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1/2 c Red Bell Pepper cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1/2 c Green Bell Pepper cut into 1/2" pieces
FOR THE MARINADE / SAUCE:
- 1/4 c Brown Sugar
- 1/2 c Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1-2 tsp Sesame Oil OPTIONAL
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Ground Ginger to taste
- 1/8 tsp Minced Garlic OR Garlic Powder to taste
- Sriracha to taste
FOR THE STEAK:
- 1 tsp Oil for cooking
- 1/2 lb Steak we used Top Round
- 2 Tablespoons of the above marinade/sauce mixture
FOR SERVING + GARNISH:
- Cooked White Rice
- Green Onions sliced, for garnish
- White Sesame Seeds for garnish
- Cut the steak while partially frozen for the easiest and cleanest slices.
- Whisk together the marinade and add two tablespoons to the steak. Reserve the remainder to make the sauce.
- Prep the veggies and saute over medium high heat in 1 tsp of oil. Remove to a plate.
- Add another 1 teaspoon of oil and quickly brown the steak on one side over high heat. Add the veggies back along with the remaining marinade/sauce. The steak will finish cooking at this time.
- The sauce should thicken quickly, within a minute or two. Remove from the heat. It's important not to overcook the steak, so work fast.
- Serve over white rice and garnish with green onions and white sesame seeds. Serve immediately.