This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. To learn more, please read my disclosure policy.
A play on a childhood favorite, you will love this Hearty Beef and Barley Soup with Vegetables! It all began with that familiar soup in a can. I wrote down all of the ingredients and proceeded with my little experiment. It turned out amazing!
This recipe begins with the traditional onion and celery mixture. To that, I added sliced mushrooms, tomato paste, frozen peas and carrots, beef broth (mixed with a bit of beef base) and a slurry of cornstarch and water.
Cook for about two minutes until thickened and glossy in appearance. To that, add the cooked barley.
Finally, add the par-boiled potatoes.
I’m using beef from this Slow Cooker Beef Pot Roast Recipe that I simply diced into bite-sized pieces. Fall apart tender and oh-so-flavorful, it really makes this soup special.
I added the pre-cooked beef at the very end of the cooking process just to warm it through and the result was just incredibly delicious.
So many layers of flavor. I hope you give this one a try!
Did you make this recipe for my Hearty Beef and Barley Soup with Vegetables? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought! You can also tag me with your creations on Instagram @aimee_stock or hover over the image below to PIN IT FOR LATER 🙂
Hearty Beef and Barley Soup with Vegetables
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1/4 c Onion diced
- 1/4 c Celery diced
- 8 oz Mushrooms sliced 1/4" thick
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 2 c Beef Broth alternately, you could also use vegetable or mushroom broth
- 1 tbsp Beef Base this is optional, but really adds to the flavor
- 1 c Pearled Barley fully cooked
- 1/2 c Potatoes diced and par-boiled
- 1/2 c Frozen Peas and Carrots Mix
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Pepper
- 2 c Beef Pot Roast cooked, diced
FOR THE CORNSTARCH "SLURRY":
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1/2 c Water
- Parsley chopped
- In a large stock pot, add oil, butter diced onions and celery. Saute until tender.
- Add sliced mushrooms, cooking until just tender.
- Next, the peas and carrots. Cook for another minute.
- Add the tomato paste, beef base and beef broth. Bring to a boil.
- Combine cornstarch and water in a bowl and add to the boiling liquid. Cook for two minutes or until thickened and glossy.
- Add the cooked barley and par-boiled diced potatoes.
- Finally, the diced pieces of pre-cooked pot roast. Taste the soup for seasoning and add salt (or pepper) as required.
- Season with salt and pepper. Cook for another two minutes (or until the beef is warmed through) and serve with a garnish or fresh parsley.