This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. To learn more, please read my disclosure policy.
There is nothing more comforting on a cold winter day than this Homestyle Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe. Loaded with flavorful veggies, rich broth and big chunks of chicken, it’s incredibly delicious. I’m using Ditalini pasta but any sturdy noodle you enjoy will do.
How to make Homestyle Chicken Noodle Soup
Since there are so few ingredients in this recipe, quality is important and that’s why I love using a rich vegetable base such as this one. Not sponsored – just happen to love it 🙂 When using a broth or base, taste for seasoning and adjust down the salt as desired or simply use a low sodium option.
Carrots, celery and onion are sauteed until tender in a mixture of butter and oil. If the mixture starts getting a bit dry, add just a smidge more oil. A good pan will help you reduce the amount of oil required and that is always a goal of mine.
The herbs are simple. Thyme, garlic powder and parsley. If you have it, you can mince fresh garlic and add it just after the veggies are tender, cooking for another minute or two.
Your veggie mixture should look like this. Still some bite, but the onions are translucent.
Add the garlic powder, thyme and any additional herbs now, cooking for 1 minute.
Add the broth plus another cup of water. The added water keeps the broth from being too overpowering on its own and keep in mind, as this boils, you’ll see a reduction in volume due to evaporation.
Just a few more ingredients. As mentioned above, any sturdy short pasta will do here. I’m loving Ditalini in this soup, but use whatever you have/like.
I recommend using boneless, skinless chicken thighs in this recipe. Trim any excess fat and cut into big, chunky cubes. This is a Homestyle Chicken Soup Recipe after all.
Finally, halve a lemon. We’ll use the juice to finish off the soup. It just brightens the flavors.
Add the chicken to the broth and cook on low heat for about 8-10 minutes. We’re basically slow cooking (or poaching) the chicken here. It doesn’t have to be completely cooked as it will continue in the next step.
After 8-10 minutes, bring the pot to a boil.
Add your pasta, cooking according to the package instructions or until desired tenderness is achieved.
Add a squeeze of lemon juice and the chopped parsley. Serve hot – with Saltine crackers, of course 🙂
Did you make my Homestyle Chicken Soup Recipe? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought. You can also tag me with your photos on Instagram @aimee_stock I love seeing your creations.
Also, be sure to try my Easy Cabbage Soup Recipe!
Homestyle Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- Large stock pot
- 1 tbsp Oil add more if needed
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 small Onion diced
- 1 rib Celery cut into half moons (or diced)
- 1 large Carrot diced
- Garlic minced, to taste (or add garlic powder)
- Salt & Pepper to taste, plus more if needed after cooking
- 1/8 tsp Thyme consider the addition other herbs such as bay leaves, rosemary, ginger…whatever you like
- 2 tbsp Parsley chopped, plus a sprig for garnish
- 2 1/2 c Chicken OR Vegetable Broth
- 1 c Water
- 1/2 lb Chicken Thighs boneless, skinless, trimmed and cut into large chunks
- 1/2 c Ditalini Pasta or other short, sturdy pasta shape
- 1/2 Lemon juice only
- Add oil and butter to a large, heavy bottomed stock pot along with the diced onion, carrot and celery. Season with salt and pepper. Saute until the onions are translucent.
- Add thyme and garlic (or garlic powder), cooking for 1 minute. Consider adding other herbs such as rosemary, bay leaves, ginger, etc.
- Add the broth AND 1 additional cup of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, adding the chicken pieces. Cover and simmer over low heat for 8-10 minutes.
- Bring back to a boil and add pasta, cooking to package instructions or to desired tenderness.
- Squeeze lemon juice and add chopped parsley.
- Taste for seasoning, adding additional salt and/or pepper, if needed.
- Serve immediately.