This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. To learn more, please read my disclosure policy.
Last Updated on February 10, 2022 by Aimee
These Mini Loaded Cheddar and Bacon Potato Skins are the perfect game day appetizer. They are so easy to make and boast all of the same flavors as their full sized counterpart. Twice baked potatoes are topped with cheddar cheese, bacon, a sprinkling of parsley and don’t forget the green onions. The perfect little dipper for a side of sour cream. Let me show you how I make them.
What potatoes should I use for Mini Loaded Cheddar and Bacon Potato Skins
Mini gold, red, purple or a combination of the three. You’ll find them in your potato section, usually on the end cap in this mesh bags. They run about $3.99 USD but you can sometimes find them on sale. Since we are halving them, they feed quite a few people as there were 20 in my 24 oz. bag!
Wash and dry the potatoes, then place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes or until fork tender. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes so that you can safely handle them.
Using a very sharp knife, slice in half. Then, using a melon baller or teaspoon, scoop out the center taking care not to leave the sides too thin as they are more fragile at this point.
Do this with all of the potatoes and place them back on the baking sheet face down.
Brush the potatoes with melted butter and sprinkle them with salt. Return to the oven for about 10 minutes.
How to make the filling for Mini Loaded Cheddar and Bacon Potato Skins
The filling is also simple. You’ll need:
- the scooped out centers of the potatoes
- sour cream
- shredded cheddar cheese
- and cooked bacon chopped into bite sized pieces
At this time, you can also reserve some of the cheddar and bacon, as well as sliced green onion for garnish.
After 10 minutes you can flip these back over and you should see golden and crisp edges. Time to stuff them!
I use this little cookie scoop to make things easier. It also allows you to distribute the filling evenly among the potato skins. Some of the potatoes will want to topple over from the weight of the filling, just butt them up against one another for stability.
Top with the remaining shredded cheddar and bacon bits. Place back into the still warm oven just until the cheese melts.
I like to top with a bit of freshly chopped parsley and green onions for both color and flavor.
Serve immediately with sour cream for dipping. I really think you are going to love these 🙂
Did you make my Mini Loaded Cheddar and Bacon Potato Skins? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought. You can also tag me with your photos on Instagram @aimee_stock I love seeing your creations 🙂
Looking for more appetizers? Look no more. Click here to see the full collection (so far)…
Mini Loaded Cheddar and Bacon Potato Skins
- 1 Parchment Lined Sheet Pan
- Melon Baller or Scoop or Measuring Spoon
FOR COOKING THE POTATOES:
- 10 Mini Gold Potatoes any mini color will work
- 1-2 tbsp Butter melted
- pinch Salt
FOR THE FILLING:
- The scooped insides of the hollowed out potatoes mashed
- 1 1/2 tsp Butter melted and cooled
- 1 tbsp Sour Cream or more if you'd like creamier potatoes
- 2-3 tbsp Cheddar shredded
- 1 strip Bacon cooked, cooled and cut into bits
- Salt & Pepper to taste
FOR GARNISH / SERVING:
- Sour Cream
- 1 tbsp Parsley chopped
- 1-2 Green Onions sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash and dry the potatoes, then bake (without oil) for 20 minutes. Cool enough to handle.
- Slice in half and using a melon baller, scoop out the inside leaving a good perimeter for structure.
- Place face down on the parchment lined baking sheet. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with salt. Bake for another 10 minutes.
- Cool slightly and flip.
- Meanwhile, combine the filling ingredients and stuff each hollowed out potato skin. Top with more of the shredded cheddar and bacon bits.
- Garnish with parsley and green onions.
- Serve immediately with a side of sour cream. Enjoy!