This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. To learn more, please read my disclosure policy.
I have been making this Penne With Sausage and Tomato Cream Sauce for as long as I can remember. Sometimes, I’ll even add spinach. It’s savory (as you’d expect from pasta), but also a bit sweet from the addition of the caramelized onions and the use of sweet Italian sausage. Overall, mild but flavorful and topped with parmesan cheese. SO good!
The first step is to melt butter and oil to saute the diced onions until they are golden and caramelized.
Remove two links of sweet Italian sausage from their casings and add to the onions, breaking it up as it cooks. I don’t let the sausage fully cook through here as we have a few more steps and you don’t want overcooked sausage.
Once the sausage is about halfway cooked, we’ll deglaze the pan with a dry white wine. This recipe uses 2/3 cup and the alcohol will evaporate as it cooks leaving only the flavor.
By now the wine should have reduced and the sausage should be fully cooked.
That means it’s time to add the diced tomatoes. I prefer petite diced tomatoes in this recipe, but regular diced is fine as well. Use all of the tomatoes as well as their juices.
Bring to a boil and cook for a few more minutes.
Add a small container of heavy cream (or whipping cream) and bring back to a boil and cook until reduced.
Finally add the parmesan and chopped parsley. Taste for seasoning, adding salt and pepper as needed.
Let’s serve up this Penne with Sausage and Tomato Cream Sauce!
Did you make this recipe for Penne with Sausage and Tomato Cream Sauce? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought. And, if you enjoyed this recipe, consider PINNING it for later or tag me on Instagram @aimee_stock. I always love seeing what you come up with 🙂
Penne with Sausage and Tomato Cream Sauce
- 1 lb Mini or Traditional Penne Pasta
- 1 tbsp Butter or Margarine
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 c Onion diced
- 2 links Sweet Italian Sausage casings removed
- 2/3 c Dry White Wine
- 15 oz Canned Petite Diced Tomatoes Regular Diced is fine too
- 1 c Heavy or Whipping Cream
- 1/4 c Parmesan Grated
- 2 tbsp Parsley chopped
- Cook pasta to al dente in salted, boiling water.
- Add butter and oil to a large saute pan over medium high heat with diced onions and saute until tender.
- Remove the casings from two links of Sweet Italian Sausage and break up into the onions.
- When they are about halfway cooked, add the white wine and cook until reduced. We are boiling off the alcohol and leaving the flavor.
- Add the diced tomatoes and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the heavy cream and parsley and cook until the sauce turns light pink in color. The sauce should be thickened and slightly reduced.
- Add the parmesan and serve over cooked pasta.