This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. To learn more, please read my disclosure policy.
This Skillet Chicken Fajitas Recipe is one of the easiest restaurant-style dishes to recreate. Seasoned chicken breast, a colorful array of sliced bell peppers and red onion are char grilled on the stove top in this skillet version of Chicken Fajitas. Serve in a warm flour tortilla, topped with sour cream, cheese, cilantro or parsley and a squeeze of fresh lime juice. Sides might include Mexican rice and/or black beans.
Ingredients you’ll need to make Skillet Chicken Fajitas
You’ll need a few simple ingredients to make this recipe. They include:
- Chicken Breast (or Thighs) cut into strips – I actually slice one chicken breast in half so you end up with two thinner cutlets to slice into strips
- Bell Peppers – any color works, but I love one of each cut into strips
- Red Onion, thinly sliced – you could also use a yellow onion, I just love the color contrast
- Cooking Oil – use a neutral flavored oil that can withstand high heat
- Fajita Seasoning (either store bought or homemade)
- Minced Garlic (if desired)
- Chopped Cilantro (or Parsley works great if you prefer that)
- Sour Cream for topping
- Avocado Slices are optional
- Lime, cut into wedges for squeezing
- and Flour Tortillas
What type of chicken should I use?
Chicken Fajitas are traditionally made with chicken breasts but you can definitely use chicken thighs if you prefer. They are a great alternative because they are difficult to overcook. Drizzle with neutral flavored oil.
Be sure to season and toss with the Fajita Seasoning. Allow to sit while you prepare and cook the veggies.
How to make your own homemade Fajita Seasoning
Fajita seasoning includes many of the ingredients you already have in your pantry or spice cupboard. Use as much or as little as you like. I used about a total of 1 1/4 teaspoons for one chicken breast and veggies. The rest can be stored in a labeled spice jar like this one.
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
How to cook the Fajita veggies
Be sure to season the veggies and add to skillet with over high heat, adding a bit more oil as necessary. Toss well and allow to cook for a few minutes between stirs. This will allow the veggies to char a bit.
How to cook the chicken
Add the seasoned chicken that you made earlier to the skillet over high heat. I used the residual oil from my veggies, but add a bit more if needed. Cook for just a few minutes per side until golden and cooked through. You can always test with a thermometer if you are unsure. The chicken is done when it reads 165 degrees.
How to make Skillet Chicken Fajitas
Now its time to bring the whole dish together. Add the veggies back to the pan with the chicken and toss to meld the flavors. Serve immediately.
What toppings do you put on Fajitas?
My favorite toppings are sour cream (or Mexican crema), a squeeze of lime juice, freshly made pico de gallo, chopped cilantro (or parsley if you aren’t a cilantro fan) and of course, a Mexican cheese (shredded or something like a crumbly Queso fresco).
What sides to serve with Fajitas
There are a variety of options for sides. Think Mexican Rice, Cilantro Lime Rice, Black Beans (with or without) Rice, Mexican Street Corn, Guacamole, Corn on the Cob, Refried Beans and all of the toppings 🙂
Can you grill Fajitas? How long does it take to cook fajitas on the grill?
Absolutely! Chicken thighs work best for grilling since it’s hard to overcook them. You will also want to use a cast iron pan that is safe for cooking on a grill for the veggies.
How to store and reheat Skillet Chicken Fajitas
You’ll want to store any leftover chicken and veggies in a glass container with a tight fitting lid in the refrigerator. Flour tortillas can stay on the counter in their original bag.
To reheat, I prefer the skillet but you can also microwave at about 50% power. Keep in mind, the chicken is already cooked and can get tough if you reheat it for too long. This is less of an issue with chicken thighs than chicken breast however.
Did you make my Skillet Chicken Fajitas Recipe? Leave a comment below and let me know what you thought. You can also tag me with your photos on Instagram @aimee_stock I love seeing your creations 🙂
Skillet Chicken Fajitas Recipe
- Non Stick Skillet (for stovetop) or Cast Iron Skillet (for grill or oven)
HOMEMADE FAJITA SEASONING:
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne
FOR THE CHICKEN and VEGGIES:
- 1 tbsp Neutral flavored Oil for cooking
- 1 large Chicken Breast halved and sliced into strips
- 1 medium Red Onion sliced
- 2 medium Bell Peppers mixed colors, cut into strips
- pinch Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 clove Garlic minced, to taste (OPTIONAL)
- Sour Cream
- Cilantro (or Parsley) chopped, plus a sprig for garnish
- Avocado sliced or cut into cubes
- Lime Wedges for squeezing
- Mexican Rice
- Shredded Mexican Cheese
- Slice a large chicken breast in half making two thin cutlets, then cut into long strips. Drizzle with oil and then toss with your Fajita seasoning. Set aside.
- Slice onions and bell peppers into strips and add to a skillet over high heat with a tablespoon of oil. Add Fajita seasoning. Toss well then allow to cook and char for a minute at a time between stirs. Cook to desired doneness. Remove to a bowl.
- Using the remaining oil in the pan (drizzle a bit more if you need to), add the seasoned chicken strips. Cook for just a few minutes on each side until the internal temperature reads 165 on a thermometer.
- Add the veggies and any accumulated juices back to the pan with the chicken and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately in a warmed soft flour tortilla topped with a squeeze of lime juice, sour cream, cheese or other desired toppings.