This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. To learn more, please read my disclosure policy.
Last Updated on October 24, 2022 by Aimee
These Soft Beer Cheese Pretzels with Beer Cheese Dip are so incredibly good AND easy to make – even for the beginning baker! A stand mixer does most of the work and that hardest part is waiting for the dough to rise. A quick 30 second dip in a baking soda bath and they are ready to brush with egg wash, sprinkle with salt and bake for just 12-15 minutes. Let me show you how to make it.
Ingredients needed to make this recipe
There are just a few simple ingredient to make the pretzel dough. They include:
- All Purpose Flour
- Lager Beer (measure after the foam goes down to get an exact measurement)
- Active Dry Yeast
- and Melted Butter
How to make Soft Beer Cheese Pretzels with Beer Cheese Dip
We are using the beer as the liquid in this recipe instead of the typical water found in dough. However, it does still need to be heated between 110-115 degrees F so you’ll need to microwave it and use a kitchen thermometer to be sure its not too hot or it will kill the yeast.
Add sugar and salt, then sprinkle the yeast over top. Allow to activate for about 5 minutes.
It should look frothy or foamy on top like this. Now you know it is active and ready to use.
Add your melted butter and flour.
Using the the dough hook attachment, mix on low until you get a very rough dough then increase the speed to medium and beat for about 5 minutes or until smooth. The dough should be sticking to the hook and have come completely away from the bowl.
Cover and allow to rise for one hour in a warm place or until doubled. Divide into eight pieces, forming each into a pretzel.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and boil water with baking soda over high heat. Add half of the pretzels, boiling for 30 seconds. Repeat with the remaining pretzels.
Place the boiled pretzels onto a lined sheet pan and allow to cool for a bit. Once they are dry, brush with a mixture of egg and water. Top immediately with kosher or pretzel salt. You can find pretzel salt here (*affiliate link)
Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden.
How to make Beer Cheese Dip
The dip is simply the same lager you used in the bread dough, softened cream cheese, shredded sharp white cheddar and shredded mozzarella. Mix well and then bake with the pretzels until golden and bubbly.
Don’t they look amazing? That dip is absolutely addictive. I really hope you give these a try.
Did you make my Soft Beer Cheese Pretzels with Beer Cheese Dip? Leave a comment below and let me know what you thought. You can also tag me with your photos on Instagram @aimee_stock I love seeing your creations.
View all of my other appetizer recipes here….
Soft Beer Cheese Pretzels with Beer Cheese Dip
- Stand Mixer
- Lined Baking Sheet
FOR THE BEER CHEESE PRETZELS:
- 6 oz Lager Beer
- 1 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 3/4 tsp Table Salt
- 1 1/8 tsp Active Dry Yeast this is half a packet
- 1 oz Butter melted
- 2 1/4 c All Purpose Flour
- Egg Yolk + Water (egg wash)
- Kosher or Pretzel Salt
FOR BOILING THE PRETZELS:
- 5 c Boiling Water
- 1/3 c Baking Soda
FOR THE BEER CHEESE DIP:
- 2 tbsp Lager Beer
- 1/3 c Sharp White Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 1/3 c Mozzarella shredded
- 2 oz Cream Cheese softened so it's easy to mix
- Parsley for garnish
TO MAKE THE PRETZEL DOUGH:
- Warm the beer to about 110-115 degrees F. Add to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook.
- Add the sugar, salt and finally, sprinkle the yeast over the liquid. Allow to sit for 5 minutes or until foamy on top.
- Now add the melted butter and all purpose flour. Mix on low until just combined, then on medium, beat for 4-5 minutes or until smooth and sticking to the hook, but pulled away from the sides. Place into a greased bowl, cover and place in a warm spot for about an hour, or until doubled in size.
- Divide the dough into eight equal pieces. Roll into a snake, then twist into a pretzel shape. This need not be perfect. You can also opt to make pretzel bites and just cut large rectangles to make it easier on yourself.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the baking soda and half of the pretzels. Boil for 30 seconds, then place back on the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining pretzels.
- Once the pretzels have dried, brush with egg wash and sprinkle with salt. I added a link above to the pretzel salt I used.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
TO MAKE THE BEER CHEESE:
- Combine softened cream cheese, mozzarella, sharp white cheddar and lager beer and place into an oven safe dish. Bake with the pretzels until golden and bubbling, about 12-15 minutes. Garnish with fresh parsley. Serve hot.