This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. To learn more, please read my disclosure policy.
This recipe for Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallow Streusel Topping will satisfy the sweet tooth in anyone who indulges! Not only did I include the obligatory marshmallows, I added a classic Streusel topping made with nuts, brown sugar, melted butter and flour. I am pretty sure the picture speaks for itself, but you really need to add this one to your holiday lineup. Not only is is delicious, but it’s a showstopper.
How to make my Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallow Streusel Topping
The most time consuming part of this entire recipe is roasting the sweet potatoes. I begin by thoroughly scrubbing and rinsing them. Dry them with paper towels and place on a parchment or silicone mat lined sheet pan.
Bake at 400 degrees until a knife inserts without any resistance. Try to get potatoes that are relatively the same size so they cook at the same rate. I had two thinner ones, so I removed them when they were done and continued with the other two.
Allow the sweet potatoes some time to cool enough to handle. I create a slice through vertically to allow the steam to escape.
While they are still warm, add the butter, salt and pepper. Because I am adding the Streusel topping, I skipped the brown sugar I would normally add in this step.
Beat with a hand mixer until you achieve a smooth puree.
Spread into your baking dish and smooth with an offset spatula or the back of a spoon.
How to create a Streusel Topping
Next, it’s time to create that Streusel topping. You’ll need:
- Melted Butter
- Brown Sugar
- All Purpose Flour
- and Nuts, such as Pecans or Walnuts chopped finely
When you stir it together, it should look like this. As it sits, it will absorb more of that flour and you should be able to easily crumble it with your fingers over the casserole.
I couldn’t find mini marshmallows, so I cut my larger sized marshmallows in half to create this diagonal pattern.
In between the rows, I added the Streusel mixture.
Bake for about 20-30 minutes (depending on your oven) until the marshmallows are melty and golden. Keep an eye on things as the marshmallows start to toast as it can go quickly at this point.
Allow the casserole to set for 10 minutes before serving. It’s VERY hot!
Did you make my Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallow Streusel Topping? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought!
You can also tag me on Instagram with your creations at @aimee_stock. I love seeing what you come up with!
Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallow Streusel Topping
- Sheet Pan lined with parchment or silicone mat
- Hand (or Stand) Mixer
- Oven Safe Baking Dish
- 2 medium Sweet Potatoes washed, dried and roasted until tender
- 1/4 c Butter
- Salt & Pepper to taste
FOR THE TOPPING:
- 1 handful Marshmallows cut, if desired (or use mini marshmallows)
- 1/2 c Brown Sugar
- 1/2 c Nuts (such as Pecans or Walnuts) very finely chopped
- 1/3 c All Purpose Flour add another tablespoon if too wet
- 1/3 c Butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone baking mat.
- Wash and dry the sweet potatoes, then place on the baking sheet and roast for about 30-40 minutes (depending on size and your oven) until a knife inserts without any resistance. Allow to cool enough to handle.
- Remove the sweet potato from the skin. I ended up using two large sweet potatoes. Add butter, salt and pepper.
- Stir together the Streusel ingredients and cut marshmallows in half, if desired.
- Evenly distribute the sweet potato mixture into your baking dish, then top with marshmallows alternating with the Streusel mixture.
- Bake for about 20-30 minutes or until the marshmallows are golden and melted.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes prior to serving. That sugar mixture is VERY hot.