This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. To learn more, please read my disclosure policy.
I have been loving the Taco Bell Double Steak Grilled Cheese Burrito and was surprised to find they have already changed this to a ground beef version? You can still request steak, but it didn’t seem like double the steak as in the original I had become addicted to. So, of course I had to recreate this one for you.
Before we get to the recipe, let’s dive a little deeper into this creation and answer a couple of the Internet’s most Googled questions regarding the burrito.
What is in a double cheese steak burrito?
According to Taco Bell’s website, it contains double the marinated grilled steak*, nacho cheese sauce, seasoned rice, fiesta strips, creamy chipotle sauce, reduced-fat sour cream, and three-cheese blend wrapped inside a warm flour tortilla, with even more three-cheese blend grilled on the top.
What is the song on the Taco Bell double steak grilled cheese burrito commercial?
Taco Bell Double Steak Grilled Cheese Burrito TV Spot, ‘Let’s Eat‘ Song by bludnymph. (You’re welcome).
And here is that commercial spot if you’d like to view it!
So here are a few shots of the ACTUAL meal I purchased at my local Taco Bell. The taste is on point, but aesthetically not overly impressive when you slice into it. Definitely a far cry from the very well-styled advertisement photos. I knew I could do better using all of the same ingredients.
Ingredients you’ll need to make this recipe
To make this recipe, you will need the following ingredients. They include:
- Burrito Size Flour Tortillas
- Steak, cut into strips, and marinated using your favorite steak sauce
- Mexican Rice, prepared to package ingredients
- Creamy Chipotle Sauce (get the recipe here)
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Mexican Blend Cheese, plus more for topping
- Melted Nacho Cheese Sauce
- Tri-Color (Fiesta) Tortilla Strips
How to make Taco Bell Double Steak Grilled Cheese Burritos
Let’s prepare a few things and I like to marinate the steak in this Lawry’s Signature Steakhouse Marinade. It is my personal favorite, but feel free to use any similar basic steak marinade you enjoy. Slice the steak into strips and then into more manageable bite sized pieces. I add back any leftover sauce from the pan I cooked the steak in after slicing up the meat.
You’ll also want to cook the rice ahead of time. I am using this boxed Mexican Rice which was actually super flavorful. It smelled spicy but tasted really enjoyable. Working on my own, more authentic version. I’ll link it here when it’s ready 🙂
You’ll also want to microwave the nacho cheese sauce so that you can drizzle it onto your burritos during assembly. I found these little individual cups and they are my new favorite thing! I love them for a few chips with cheese dip too.
Let’s build a Burrito!
This actually was my first time rolling a burrito with SO many ingredients and there is some trial and error to the process. There are no exact measurements here, just use the photo as a guide.
- STEP 1 Place a mound of the cooked rice in the bottom half of a burrito size tortilla
- STEP 2 Top with the grilled marinated steak (and don’t be shy)
- STEP 3 Top with the fiesta tortilla strips
- STEP 4 Top those with the melted nacho cheese sauce
- STEP 5 More cheese please. Shredded Mexican this time
- STEP 6 Add our homemade Creamy Chipotle Sauce
- STEP 7 Finally, add a few small dollops of sour cream
- STEP 8 Fold in the sides of the tortilla, tuck in the filling and roll tightly ending with the seam side down
Your burrito should look something like this. Don’t stress if it’s not perfect. it will be grilled into some melted cheese in just a few moments 🙂
Add the burrito to a hot skillet seam side down until golden. This helps to seal that edge. Remove from the pan for just a second so we can add our cheese topping.
This is where things get fun! I wasn’t sure how this part of the recipe would work out, but as you will see in my finished burrito it worked like a charm! Add a large handful of your Mexican shredded cheese to a preheated non stick skillet. VERY important that it is a non stick skillet. Place your burrito onto the cheese with the seam facing up (the cheese will end up being our topping).
Take the pan and flip the burrito over onto your plate. Or use a spatula. That’s honestly the trickiest part of this recipe.
Look at that! What a thing of beauty.
Again, let’s take a look inside. Does it get any better? Be sure to serve these with some tortilla chips and more of that nacho sauce. I really think you’ll love making these for your friends and family.
Did you make my Taco Bell Double Steak Grilled Cheese Burritos Copycat Recipe? Leave a comment below and let me know what you thought. And if you enjoyed the recipe, share it with a friend 🙂
Taco Bell Double Steak Grilled Cheese Burrito (Copycat Recipe)
- Non-Stick Skillet
FOR THE GRILLED MARINATED STEAK:
- 1 lb Steak I used chuck steaks
- Lawry's Signature Steakhouse Marinade
- squeeze Lime Juice if desired
FOR THE MEXICAN RICE:
- 1 box Mexican Style Rice prepared to package instructions
FOR THE NACHO CHEESE SAUCE:
- 1 c Nacho Cheese Sauce melted
FOR ASSEMBLING THE BURRITO:
- 4 Burrito Sized Tortillas
- 1 c Fiesta Tortilla Strips these are usually in the salad dressing aisle or near the lettuce in the produce section of the grocery store
- 1 recipe Creamy Chipotle Sauce recipe link in blog post
- 1/2 c Sour Cream
- 1 c Mexican Three Cheese Blend shredded
FOR FINISHING & SERVING THE BURRITO:
- 1 c Mexican Three Cheese Blend 1/4 each, for melting on top of each of the 4 burritos
- Taco Sauce for serving
- Tortilla Chips with more sauce on the side, if desired
- The first step to making this recipe is marinating that steak. I cut the steak into strips and use my favorite steak marinade to give it some flavor. About 30 minutes is all that is needed. Add the strips to a hot grill pan or skillet until just cooked through. Remove to a plate to rest and add any of the cooked juices back to the steak strips. Cut if necessary into more bite sized pieces.
- Prepare the Mexican Style Rice to the package instructions.
- Melt the nacho cheese sauce in the microwave just so you can spoon or pour it over the burrito during assembly.
- To assemble the burritos (this recipe made 4 large burritos!), start with adding some of the rice to the bottom third of the tortilla.
- Follow with your steak, fiesta tortilla strips, nacho cheese sauce, shredded Mexican cheese, Creamy Chipotle Sauce and finally, sour cream. Roll the tortilla, tucking in the edges and pushing the filling back in as you go.
- Place the rolled burritos seam side down in a preheated non stick skillet until seared and just golden. Remove and add more of the shredded cheese. Immediately place your burrito back into the cheese with the top of the burrito touching that cheese. Seam side will be facing you.
- Flip the burrito onto a plate once the cheese is just melted. A spatula will work too. Serve with taco sauce and side of tortilla chips.