This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. To learn more, please read my disclosure policy.
Prepare yourself for The Best Glazed Meatloaf Recipe – I promise! You can definitely make this in your traditional loaf pan, but I love making these meal prep style. Plus, the small loaves allow for more surface coverage for the sweet and tangy topping. Serve with mashed potatoes and your favorite green veggie. Let me show you how to make it.
How to make The Best Glazed Meatloaf Recipe
The very first thing I do differently is that I like to saute the diced onions in butter. This not only adds moisture to our meatloaf mix, but it also adds a depth of flavor. Cook until the onions are translucent and allow them to cool completely.
I use a mixture of 80/20 ground beef and ground pork, but feel free to use your favorite mix. Add a whole egg and season with salt and pepper.
Chef’s tip: Always mix with a fork or with your non-dominant hand. It helps keep the mixture light and airy.
Add milk to your mixture which will help hydrate the bread cubes (shown in the next photo).
I also add ketchup in the meatloaf as well as in the glaze we’ll make later on. When your onions are cooled, add them in as well along with any residual butter in the pan.
Lastly, add the Worcestershire sauce.
Give it all a good mix and allow it to rest. This will give those bread crumbs a chance to absorb the moisture.
As I mentioned above, you can use a standard loaf pan, mini loaf pans or free form the loaves as I have here. I used a one cup measure to make five loaves and then used my hands to shape the loaves.
How to make the glaze
This glaze is so amazing. Once you try this recipe, you’ll never use plain old ketchup again! You’ll need:
- Your favorite Ketchup
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Apple Cider (or White) Vinegar
- Brown Sugar (light or dark)
Brush the glaze liberally onto each loaf.
I really pile it on there. As it bakes, it will glaze over and almost make a jam-like topping. It’s just the best.
The result is a tender loaf with a sweet and tangy glaze. I personally prefer mine with mashed potatoes and green beans, but also make it as a meal prep as shown below. That’s frozen broccoli and these thaw and reheat amazingly well!
Did you make The Best Glazed Meatloaf Recipe? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought. You can also tag me with your photos over on Instagram @aimee_stock I love seeing your creations 🙂
If you enjoyed this post please like, comment, follow, share the recipe … it all helps
The Best Glazed Meatloaf Recipe
- 1 Saute Pan
- 1 Sheet Pan
FOR THE MEATLOAF:
- 1 lb Ground Beef I use 80/20
- 1/2 lb Ground Pork
- 5 slices White Bread cut into small cubes
- 1/3 c Ketchup
- 1/3 c Onion diced, sauteed in 1 tbsp butter
- 1/3 c Milk
- 1 large Egg
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
FOR THE GLAZE:
- 1 c Ketchup
- 1/4 c Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- Combine ground beef and ground pork. Add one egg, salt and pepper.
- Cook diced onions in 1 tbsp butter until translucent. Cool completely and add to beef mixture.
- Cut the bread into cubes and add to the ground beef mixture along with milk, ketchup and Worcestershire.
- Mix with a fork or your non-dominant hand to keep things light. Allow to rest for about 15 minutes so the bread can absorb the liquids.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a one cup measure, add 5 mounds to the sheet pan. Use your hands to form and shape the loaves.
- Stir together the glaze ingredients and liberally brush onto the loaves.
- Bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes or until a thermometer inserted reads 160. Allow the loaves to rest for five minutes before serving.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and a green veggie, such as green beans or broccoli.