This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. To learn more, please read my disclosure policy.
Last Updated on February 14, 2022 by Aimee
The Best Hamburger Steaks with Mushroom Gravy are made just like this! There are a few steps to this recipe, but in this post, we’ll break this recipe down into three sections. First, flavorful hamburger steaks are browned. Then, we’ll remove them and cook the mushrooms. Next up are the onions which are the base of our sauce. Finally, they all reunite for the most delicious meal you’ll make again and again. Serve with mashed potatoes, green beans and don’t forget the bread for mopping up the sauce. Let’s make this! 🙂
How to make hamburger steaks
- 1 How to make hamburger steaks
- 2 How to cook the mushrooms
- 3 How to caramelize the onions and make the sauce
- 4 How to finish the dish
- 5 The Best Hamburger Steaks with Mushroom Gravy
You’ll need just a few ingredients to make the hamburger steaks. They include:
- 80/20 Ground Beef
- Panko Bread Crumbs
- an Egg
- Ground Mustard Powder
- and Garlic or Garlic Powder
Combine this mixture with a fork to keep it light and airy. Shape into two hamburger steaks and cook in oil over medium high heat. They will not be fully cooked at this point, we’ll finish it in the sauce.
Remove to paper towels to rest and drain any excess oil.
How to cook the mushrooms
Using the pan and any remaining oil or juices, cook the mushrooms. Add a sprinkling of thyme. You can either use fresh or dried. A little goes a long way, so go easy here.
The mushrooms will quickly absorb all of the flavor in that pan and seem a bit dry until they release their natural juices.
When they are tender and golden, remove them to a plate.
How to caramelize the onions and make the sauce
Still using the same pan, add two tablespoons of butter and over medium heat, add the sliced onions. Cook until tender and golden. Then add the flour, cooking and stirring for one minute. Add the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce.
How to finish the dish
The gravy will thicken quickly thanks to that flour, so stir continuously and then add back the mushrooms.
Add some freshly chopped parsley and finally, nestle your burgers back into the gravy and spoon some over top. Over medium heat, continue to cook the burgers until a thermometer inserted reads 165 degrees. I actually used a lid to expedite that process. The gravy will continue to thicken as it cooks.
Serve immediately with mashed potatoes and green beans. I highly recommend a soft loaf to help mop up that delicious gravy. It’s just too good!
Just look at how tender that burger is!
Obligatory bite shot 🙂 I really hope you give this recipe a try. Double it for a family of four.
Did you make my recipe for The Best Hamburger Steaks with Mushroom Gravy? Leave me a comment and let me know what you thought. You can also tag me with your photos on Instagram @aimee_stock I always love seeing your creations 🙂
The Best Hamburger Steaks with Mushroom Gravy
- 1 Non-Stick Skillet with lid
FOR THE HAMBURGER STEAKS:
- 1/2 lb Ground Beef I used 80/20
- 2-3 tbsp Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1 tbsp Oil for cooking
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Ground Mustard
- 1/8 tsp Pepper
- pinch Garlic Powder to taste
FOR THE MUSHROOMS:
- 8 oz Brown Mushrooms wiped clean, stems removed and sliced to 1/4"
- pinch Thyme to taste
FOR THE ONIONS:
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 small Onion thinly sliced
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 1 1/2 tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 1 c Beef Broth hot
- 1 tbsp Parsley chopped
- 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- Mashed Potatoes
- Green Beans
TO MAKE THE HAMBURGER STEAKS:
- Combine all of the ingredients for the hamburger steaks using a fork to keep them light. Using your hands, form into burgers. Add oil to a skillet over medium high heat and brown the burgers, about 3-4 minutes per side. Remove to a paper towel. They will not be fully cooked at this point, but will finish in the sauce later.
TO MAKE THE MUSHROOMS:
- Using the same pan and any remaining oil or juices, cook the sliced mushrooms with thyme until golden and tender. They should have absorbed all of the liquids. Remove to a plate.
TO MAKE THE ONIONS:
- In the same pan, add two tablespoons of butter and the sliced onions. Cook over medium heat until they are tender, slightly golden and caramelized.
TO FINISH THE SAUCE:
- Add the flour to the onions and cook for 1 minute. Then, add the hot beef broth and worcestershire sauce. Also add your chopped parsley at this time. Cook until thickened, about 2 minutes or so.
- Add the mushrooms back to the pan and nestle the burgers in the sauce, spooning some over top. Add a lid and continue to cook until a thermometer reads 165 degrees.
- Serve one steak with gravy per person along with mashed potatoes, green beans and a side of bread. I like to give the steaks a final sprinkling of salt to really bring out the flavors.
- Garnish with a bit more parsley and enjoy!