This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. To learn more, please read my disclosure policy.
Last Updated on March 20, 2022 by Aimee
This Tortilla Crusted Chicken with Creamy Poblano Rice is simple to make and so incredibly flavorful, I think you’ll really love it. A boneless, skinless chicken breast is coated with crushed tortilla chips and placed on a bed of creamy, poblano rice with corn.
How to make Tortilla Crusted Chicken
To make this recipe, you’ll need:
- Boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced thin, seasoned with salt and pepper
- Flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- Egg with a bit of water
- Tortilla Chips, processed into crumbs
- Oil, for frying
Begin by adding tortilla chips to your food processor and continue to pulse until they look like breadcrumbs. You can leave it coarser, but I find it doesn’t adhere to the chicken nearly as well.
From there, lightly dredge your chicken breast in flour, then the egg mixture and finally, your tortilla bread crumb mixture. Shake off any excess and fry in oil until golden on both sides. It’s done when a thermometer inserted reads about 165 degrees. I allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes prior to serving.
How to make Creamy Poblano Rice
To make the rice, you’ll need:
- Onion, chopped
- Corn (either canned, or defrosted from frozen)
- Canned Poblano Peppers
- Pimientos (or diced Red Peppers)
- Cream Cheese
- Milk, to thin
- COOKED Long Grain White Rice
- Parmesan Cheese, optional
- Chopped Parsley, for garnish
If you have everything prepared, including the precooked rice, this part of the recipe will be finished when the chicken is done cooking. Saute the onion and corn in a bit of oil or butter.
Then add the poblano and pimiento. Season with salt and pepper.
To make the creamy sauce, add a few ounces of cream cheese and allow it to fully melt.
Using milk, thin the mixture until it looks like this.
Toss in your cooked white rice and chopped parsley for color. At this point, determine if your rice is too thick and add another splash of milk if needed. Be sure to taste for seasoning, adding salt and/or pepper if desired.
Serve the chicken over the rice and garnish with a bit more parsley. I personally love adding a few whole tortilla chips to the plate both for garnish and scooping up that rice. Tostitos Scoops are perfect for this recipe.
The chicken is so juicy and flavorful when served with this rice. I hope you give it a try.
CHEF’S TIP! Try this recipe exactly as written but with a firm white fish, such as cod.
Did you make my Tortilla Crusted Chicken with Creamy Poblano Rice? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought. You can also tag with your photos on Instagram @aimee_stock I love seeing your creations 🙂
For more of my chicken recipes, click HERE
Tortilla Crusted Chicken with Creamy Poblano Rice
- Non-Stick Skillet
FOR THE TORTILLA CRUSTED CHICKEN:
- 1 medium Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast sliced in half to make two thinner cutlets
- 1 c All Purpose Flour
- 2 c Tortilla Chips crushed into crumbs
- 2 tbsp Oil for shallow pan frying
- 1 large Egg lightly beaten with a splash of water
- Salt & Pepper for the chicken, the flour & the eggs
FOR THE CREAMY POBLANO RICE:
- 2 tsp Butter
- 1/4 c Onion chopped
- 3/4 c Corn either canned, or defrosted from frozen
- 2-3 tbsp Canned Poblano Peppers
- 2 tbsp Pimientos or diced Red Peppers
- 2-3 oz Cream Cheese
- 1/3 c Milk to thin
- 1 1/2 c COOKED Long Grain White Rice
- 1 tbsp Parmesan Cheese optional
- 1 tbsp Chopped Parsley plus more for garnish, if desired
TO MAKE THE TORTILLA CRUSTED CHICKEN:
- On one plate, add all purpose flour and season with salt and pepper. On a second plate, add a beaten egg and a splash of water, beat to break it up and season with salt and pepper. Finally on a third plate, add tortilla chips that you have crushed in a food processor.
- Slice a medium to large chicken breast in half to make two thin cutlets. Season with salt and pepper. Lightly coat in flour, then egg and then coat in the crushed tortilla chips.
- Add oil to a non stick skillet and pan fry until golden on both sides with an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
TO MAKE THE CREAMY POBLANO RICE:
- Prep your rice earlier in the day or the day before so it's ready to go!
- In a non stick skillet, add butter (or oil) onion and corn. Saute for a few minutes. Add poblanos and pimientos. Cook for one minute.
- Now add the cream cheese and a bit of milk to thin. Eyeball this keeping in mind that the rice will absorb much of it. Add the rice and chopped parsley. Stir to combine. Add another splash of milk if necessary.
- OPTIONAL, add a sprinkling of parmesan and plate the rice topping it with the pan fried chicken. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley and serve immediately.