This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. To learn more, please read my disclosure policy.
The history of Tetrazzini
A chicken version of Tetrazzini was made famous by chef Louis Paquet and reportedly named after opera star Luisa Tetrazzini. The luxuriously creamy sauce of this Turkey Tetrazzini Recipe is served over a thin pasta such as spaghetti, linguine, etc. Tetrazzini is prepared as a baked noodle casserole with a crisp, browned topping.
Step 1: Prep your veggies
These include sliced mushrooms, finely diced onions and celery. Saute until all of the vegetables are tender.
I’m using frozen peas and carrots today. They are so convenient and you don’t even have to defrost them prior to using. You’ll also want freshly chopped Italian parsley.
For the turkey, I’m using my own from this recipe, but feel free to use a rotisserie turkey from your local grocery store.
Step 2: Make the sauce
In a saute pan, melt the butter and add the flour.
This roux is the base of our sauce. Be sure to cook this for about two minutes which will remove that raw flour taste.
Add heavy cream slowly as you whisk to remove lumps.
Now do the same thing with the vegetable stock. You could also use chicken stock here, I just happened to have vegetable on hand.
Whisk until smooth, then season with salt and pepper.
Step 3: Add back all of the prepped ingredients
To the sauce, add the sauteed vegetables, parsley, peas and carrots along with the diced turkey.
Step 4: Make the spaghetti
Meanwhile, cook your spaghetti and then add it to the creamy mixture. Give everything a good toss.
Doesn’t that look amazing? But wait. We’re not done yet!
Finally, top with parmesan/bread crumb mixture and place until the broiler until golden, if desired.
This should only take a few minutes, but be sure to use and oven-safe pan AND a pot holder to remove it. It’s hot!
Did you make my Turkey Tetrazzini Recipe? If so, leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought. And, if you enjoyed the recipe, consider PINNING it for later OR, tag me on Instagram @aimee_stock. I always love seeing what you come up with 🙂
Turkey Tetrazzini Recipe
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1/4 c Onion diced
- 8 oz Mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 c Celery finely chopped
- 1 c Frozen Peas & Carrots Mix no need to defrost
- 1 clove Garlic minced (OPTIONAL)
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 1/4 c Flour
- 1 c Heavy Cream
- 1-3/4 c Vegetable (or Chicken) Stock
- 2 tbsp Fresh Parsley chopped
- 2 c Rotisserie Turkey large dice
- 1/2 box Spaghetti cooked al dente
- 1/2 c Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 c Panko Breadcrumbs
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, mushrooms and celery. Cook until the vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic (if using) and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- Heat the butter in an oven safe skillet over medium heat. Stir in the flour. Gradually stir in the heavy cream and vegetable broth. Cook and stir until the mixture boils and thickens.
- Add the turkey, onion and mushroom mixture, frozen carrots, peas and parsley.
- Add the cooked spaghetti and cheese, tossing to coat. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Heat the broiler. Combine the topping and sprinkle evenly over the pasta. Broil 4 inches from the heat (make sure you pan is oven safe AND that you use a pot holder to remove it!) until the turkey mixture is hot and bubbling with a golden brown top.