You’ve likely seen this one on Pinterest, but let’s take a closer look at The 30 Day Plank Challenge!
What is a plank?
Let’s go straight to Wikipedia for this one! “The most common plank is the forearm plank which is held in a push-up-like position, with the body’s weight borne on forearms, elbows, and toes. Many variations exist such as the side plank and the reverse plank. The plank is commonly practiced in Pilates and yoga, and by those training for boxing and other sports.”
What is the 30 Day Plank Challenge?
The following 30-day challenge is designed to help you increase the amount of time you are able to hold a plank by, you got it, holding a standard plank. It’s that simple!
Here is one of my favorite challenges.
How many calories do planks burn? How many calories does a 1 minute plank burn?
According to the popular website Healthline, “The plank is a highly effective abdominal-strengthening exercise. For most people, it burns between two and five calories per minute.”
What are the benefits of planks?
- A STRONG CORE: Planks are one of the best core exercises
- POSTURE: Planks will improve your overall posture
- BACK PAIN: Planks can help with back pain, again due to improved posture
- IMPROVED COORDINATION: Planks create strong core muscles help to maintain balance resulting in better coordination
- FLEXIBILITY: Planks improve flexibility especially as you get stronger and are able to vary your positions
- METABOLISM: Planks increase metabolism, strong muscles burn more calories…even at rest
- MOOD: Exercise in general releases endorphins, those “feel good” chemicals, so your mood will improve!
The plank is a great exercise to incorporate into your workout routine. What is your favorite plank position? Let me know in the comments section below 🙂