We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. For more information, click here.
One of my favorite comfort foods is this Classic French Onion Soup Recipe. It’s really simple to make and freezes well. Top with a crusty slice of bread and copious amounts of cheese. Let me show you how to make it!
How to make Classic French Onion Soup:
The first step is to choose yellow onions and cut them into slices.
Add the onions to a large stock pot with oil and butter. I like the combination of both, one for flavor and one to allow higher heat cooking.
To expedite the caramelization process, I add a small amount of granulated sugar. This takes the most amount of time, so be patient!
Once the onions are golden and sweet, add the wine to deglaze the pan.
Scrape up all of those browned bits on the bottom of the pan. That is where the flavor lies.
You can use any beef broth, but if you’ve followed me for awhile, you know I am obsessed with Better Than Bouillon. Simply add 1 tsp to boiling water. There is no waste because you can store the jar in the refrigerator for later use. Plus, you can also choose to make the broth stronger with just a bit more of the paste. I’ll never go back 🙂
Add the broth to the onions and allow to simmer so that all of the flavors meld.
It is at this point that I will add the fresh thyme leaves. Just pick the leaves from the stems, no need to chop.
Ladle the soup into individual oven safe bowls.
Add a toasted piece of French or Italian bread to the top and pile on the shredded cheese.
If you bowls are broiler safe, use that for just a minute or two. Mine were safe only to 350 degrees, so I just placed the bowls on the top shelf to melt the cheese. It still works.
Garnish with freshly chopped parsley.
You’ll want to serve these immediately as the bread starts to soak up the soup rather quickly.
The onions are so incredibly sweet and with that savory cheese and bread, it’s just delicious! I hope you give it a try.
Did you make my Classic French Onion Soup Recipe? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought. If you are on Instagram, tag me with your creations @aimee_stock I love seeing what you come up with 🙂
Classic French Onion Soup Recipe
- Dutch Oven with Lid
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 3 lbs Onions sliced
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- 1/2 cup White Wine
- 3-4 c Beef Broth
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 4 slices French or Italian Bread sliced about 1/2" thick and cut in half
- 1 1/4 cup Cheese, such as Swiss, Gruyere or Mozzarella shredded
- In a Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons oil and 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir until softened, 10-13 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, until deep golden brown, 30-40 minutes. Add minced garlic; cook 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in white wine. Bring to a boil, cooking until the liquids are reduced by about half.
- Add beef broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for about an hour. Add thyme leaves.
- Toast slices of French or Italian bread and cut in half, if desired. Prepare your shredded cheese of choice.
- To serve, divide soup between six broiler-safe bowls or ramekins and place on a baking sheet. Add 2 toast halves on top of the soup. Add a layer of cheese. Broil 4 in. from heat until cheese is melted.