The best Classic Ground Beef Chili Recipe is the one just like mom (or grandma) used to make and this one will not disappoint. Loaded with ground beef, two types of beans (though sometimes we add three) and lots of flavor. My recipe allows you to adjust the spice to suit your own personal taste. Top with sour cream and plenty of cheddar cheese. We serve ours with cornbread. Let’s make this!
How to make my Classic Ground Beef Chili Recipe
I start with a very small amount of oil in a large stock pot over medium high heat. Saute the onions for just a few minutes and then add your ground beef. Cook until no longer pink, stirring occasionally.
If you like green peppers in your chili, add them at the same time as the onions.
Next, add your beans. We like red kidney beans and white cannellini beans. As mentioned above, we do sometimes also add dark red kidney beans, but our store was out this week.
Add a can of diced tomatoes along with tomato sauce and chili powder. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
It will look a bit loose at this point, but we’re going to simmer this on a low heat for about 30 minutes. I do cover it with the cover slightly ajar.
Just look at the difference a little cooking time makes! You can simmer this until it is as thick as you’d like it. This is just perfect.
Top your chili with a dollop of sour cream and plenty of shredded cheddar. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve with cornbread.
Did you make my recipe for Classic Ground Beef Chili Recipe? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought! You can also tag me with your creations on Instagram @aimee_stock I always love seeing what you come with!
Classic Ground Beef Chili Recipe
- Large stock pot
- 1/2 lb Ground Beef I used an 80/20
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1/4 c Onion diced
- 1/4 c Green Pepper diced, OPTIONAL
- 14.5 oz Canned Diced Tomatoes
- 4 oz Canned Tomato Sauce
- 15 oz Canned Cannellini Beans drained and rinsed
- 15 oz Canned Red Kidney Beans drained and rinsed
- 15 oz Canned DARK Red Kidney Beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp Chili Powder more or less to taste
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Parsley for garnish
- In a large stock pot, add a small amount of oil and your onions. Saute for a few minutes and add the ground beef. Continue to cook until the beef is no longer pink. ***NOTE: If you'd like to add diced green peppers, add with the onions, then add the ground beef.
- Add the drained and rinsed beans, chili powder, tomato sauce and diced tomatoes. Taste for seasoning, adding more chili powder (if desired) and salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer for at least 30 minutes covered. If you'd like it a bit thicker, cook uncovered stirring occasionally until desired consistency has been achieved. It only gets better with time.
- Top with sour cream, cheddar cheese and parsley for garnish. Serve with your favorite cornbread.