This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. To learn more, please read my disclosure policy.
Last Updated on October 19, 2021 by Aimee
This Cabbage Soup Recipe is so simple to prepare and is very freezer-friendly. Perfect for meal-prep! Let me show you how to make it.
Is cabbage soup good for weight loss?
Cabbage Soup is a great low-calorie alternative to add to a balanced diet. You could choose to eliminate the sugar or use a keto-friendly option such as Splenda.
How do I make Cabbage Soup?
You’ll need just a few simple ingredients for this recipe. Cabbage, olive oil, whole tomatoes, onion, broth, hot sauce (optional), sugar, salt and pepper.
To begin, add oil and onions to a large stockpot. Saute for just a few minutes until translucent.
Meanwhile, slice the cabbage thinly and add to the onions.
Season with salt and pepper. Cover and allow to wilt down for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. This should take about 5 minutes or so. Add the sugar.
You can puree whole tomatoes or use a can of crushed tomatoes.
Add the tomatoes to the cabbage.
You can use a can or box of broth, but I absolutely love this concentrated chicken base. You simply add a teaspoon to boiling water and give it a little whisk.
Add the broth to your cabbage mixture, bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cook until the soup thickens slightly or until the cabbage reaches the desired tenderness.
Taste for seasoning, adding salt and pepper as needed and a few dashes of hot sauce, if desired.
Does Cabbage Soup freeze well?
You can serve immediately or allow to cool completely and portion into freezer-safe containers. This soup freezes beautifully, perfect for all you meal-preppers out there!
Did you make this Cabbage Soup Recipe? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought. You can also tag me on Instagram @aimee_stock. I love seeing what you come up with 🙂
Easy Cabbage Soup Recipe
- Stock Pot
- 1 medium Cabbage
- 1 medium Onion
- 2 tsp Oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp Sugar or more, to taste
- 15 oz Can of Crushed Tomatoes
- 3 c Vegetable or Chicken Broth
- dash Tabasco Sauce optional or to taste
- Place oil and onions in a large stock pot over medium high heat. Saute until translucent.
- Add the cabbage, salt and pepper. Cover and cook for a few minutes until the cabbage is wilted. Add sugar.
- Follow with the crushed tomatoes.
- Now add the broth and stir well. Allow to cook, uncovered, for about 15-20 minutes. Taste for seasoning and add Tabasco to taste, if desired.