This Cabbage Soup Recipe is so simple to prepare and is very freezer-friendly. Perfect for meal-prep! Let me show you how to make it.
Is cabbage soup good for weight loss?
Cabbage Soup is a great low-calorie alternative to add to a balanced diet. You could choose to eliminate the sugar or use a keto-friendly option such as Splenda.
How do I make Cabbage Soup?
You’ll need just a few simple ingredients for this recipe. Cabbage, olive oil, whole tomatoes, onion, broth, hot sauce (optional), sugar, salt and pepper.
To begin, add oil and onions to a large stockpot. Saute for just a few minutes until translucent.
Meanwhile, slice the cabbage thinly and add to the onions.
Season with salt and pepper. Cover and allow to wilt down for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. This should take about 5 minutes or so. Add the sugar.
You can puree whole tomatoes or use a can of crushed tomatoes.
Add the tomatoes to the cabbage.
You can use a can or box of broth, but I absolutely love this concentrated chicken base. You simply add a teaspoon to boiling water and give it a little whisk.
Add the broth to your cabbage mixture, bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cook until the soup thickens slightly or until the cabbage reaches the desired tenderness.
Taste for seasoning, adding salt and pepper as needed and a few dashes of hot sauce, if desired.
Does Cabbage Soup freeze well?
You can serve immediately or allow to cool completely and portion into freezer-safe containers. This soup freezes beautifully, perfect for all you meal-preppers out there!
Did you make this Cabbage Soup Recipe? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought. You can also tag me on Instagram @aimee_stock. I love seeing what you come up with 🙂
Easy Cabbage Soup Recipe
- Stock Pot
- 1 medium Cabbage
- 1 medium Onion
- 2 tsp Oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp Sugar or more, to taste
- 15 oz Can of Crushed Tomatoes
- 3 c Vegetable or Chicken Broth
- dash Tabasco Sauce optional or to taste
- Place oil and onions in a large stock pot over medium high heat. Saute until translucent.
- Add the cabbage, salt and pepper. Cover and cook for a few minutes until the cabbage is wilted. Add sugar.
- Follow with the crushed tomatoes.
- Now add the broth and stir well. Allow to cook, uncovered, for about 15-20 minutes. Taste for seasoning and add Tabasco to taste, if desired.