I am all about one-pan meals these days and my Sweet and Sour Meatballs have quickly become a favorite! I’m using a supermarket shortcut today to show you how you can bring this meal together in less than 20 minutes, but if you have a bit more time, consider making my Basic Meatball Recipe 🙂
Prepping for meal prep:
With any 20 minute meal, the secret to success is to gather all of the ingredients together because things move fast once you get started.
How do I make Sweet and Sour Meatballs?
In a skillet over medium high heat, I added the onions and peppers, sauteing for a few minutes to get those started.
Then, I add the brown sugar, rice wine vinegar, ketchup and soy sauce. Bring to a boil and add your cornstarch slurry.
While this is thickening a bit, I microwaved my frozen meatballs for about 3 minutes to give them a head start. Add those to the pan along with the pineapple chunks.
If you start the rice at the beginning of this meal prep or use a quick cooking boil-in-bag rice, you will be ready to enjoy these Sweet and Sour Meatballs! One boil-in-bag packet should give you enough for two meal prep containers as shown here.
I get asked a lot about these containers. You can get them here on Amazon.com (*affiliate link) I have a collection. Some with no dividers, some like these with two and a set with three dividers.
Did you make my recipe for Sweet and Sour Meatballs? I’d love to know what you thought. You can always tag me with your photos on Instagram at @aimee_stock. I always love seeing what you come up with 🙂
As always, I SO appreciate your comments, likes, shares and PINS. It helps so much!
Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- 10" Non-Stick Skillet
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1/4 c Red Pepper diced
- 1/2 c Onion chopped
- 1/4 c Brown Sugar
- 1/4 c Rice Wine Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Ketchup
- 1 1/2 tsp Soy Sauce preferably, low-sodium
- 1 c Pineapple Juice
- 10 Meatballs if frozen, defrost for 3 minutes in the microwave
- 8 oz Pineapple Chunks drained of its liquid
FOR THE CORNSTARCH SLURRY:
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- 2 tbsp Pineapple Juice
- 1 c Cooked White Rice
- 1 tsp Green Onion
- Cook the white rice and set aside.
- If using frozen meatballs, defrost for 3 minutes in the microwave.
- To a skillet over medium high heat, add oil, onion and red pepper. Saute for a few minutes to soften.
- Add the brown sugar, rice wine vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce and pineapple juice.
- Whisk together the cornstarch and 2 tbsp of pineapple juice. Add to the skillet and allow the mixture to thicken a bit.
- Add the meatballs and pineapple chunks. Allow to heat through. The sauce will continue to thicken.
- Serve over rice and garnish with green onion.
- Divide between two meal prep containers. Allow to cool before refrigerating.