This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. To learn more, please read my disclosure policy.
Last Updated on November 2, 2021 by Aimee
This Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings recipe is made with chicken breasts cooked until tender in a rich gravy, shredded with two forks and finished by adding refrigerated biscuit dough to make the dumplings. The ultimate one pot meal!
How to make Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings
You’ll need just a few simple ingredients to make this recipe. They include:
- Boneless Chicken Breasts
- Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
- Vegetable or Chicken Broth (I prefer to make my own using something like Better Than Bouillon base)
- Poultry Seasoning
You’ll also need a refrigerated biscuit dough. I like using something like these Pillsbury Grands Buttermilk Biscuits.
Combine the Cream of Chicken soup with the vegetable (or chicken) broth, whisking until smooth.
Add the onion, minced garlic, poultry seasoning, parsley, salt and pepper.
Add the gravy mixture to the bottom of your slow cooker, then top with the chicken breasts and season with salt and pepper.
Cook on high for 3-4 hours until the chicken easily shreds with two forks. You can remove the chicken to a cutting board to do this and return the chicken to the slow cooker or do the shredding directly in the slow cooker.
Next, flatten the biscuit dough and cut each into 4 or 5 slices. Be sure that you flatten the dough as it will puff up and take longer to cook. You can also cut them into smaller pieces if desired.
Add the dough to the slow cooker and allow to continue cooking on high for another hour or until the biscuits are cooked through.
The biscuits are now light and fluffy and have absorbed some of that delicious gravy.
Using a large spoon, serve immediately.
Did you make my Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought. You can also tag me with your photos on Instagram @aimee_stock I love seeing your creations!
Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings
- Slow Cooker / Crockpot
- 2 large Chicken Breasts (and/or thighs) boneless and skinless
- 1/2 medium Onion diced
- 1/4 tsp Garlic minced (more or less to taste)
- 1 can Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 1/2 c Vegetable or Chicken Broth
- 1/2 tsp Poultry Seasoning
- 1 tbsp Parsley dried or fresh
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1 package Refrigerated Biscuit Dough 8 count Homestyle Buttermilk
- Whisk together the condensed cream of chicken soup with the broth. Add the remaining ingredients except for the biscuit dough. Place the gravy into the slow cooker.
- Add the chicken breasts to the gravy and season with salt and pepper. Set the slow cooker to high and cook for 3-4 hours or until the chicken shreds easily with two forks. I like to remove the chicken to do this, then return to the slow cooker.
- Take each biscuit round and flatten with your hand. Slice into 4-5 strips or 5-10 squares, if desired. Place on top of the chicken and gravy.
- Cover the slow cooker and continue to cook for 1 hour or until the biscuit dough is fully cooked. It should be light and fluffy. It will also have absorbed some of the gravy.
- Serve immediately.