We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. For more information, click here.
IKEA Swedish Meatballs debuted in physical stores in the 1980’s and quickly became one of the most, if not THE most, popular item on the menu. While we aren’t privy to the actual recipe, we personally think these are Better Than IKEA Swedish Meatballs! 🙂
Why does IKEA even serve Swedish Meatballs?
According to this article, founder Ingvar Kamprad stated that, “It’s difficult to do business with someone on an empty stomach.” So, he decided that IKEA needed to offer food to their shoppers. Swedish food (of course) at budget-friendly prices. And that’s exactly what he did.
Let’s make meatballs!
Obviously, the meatball is the star of this show and you can find my detailed post on meatballs here! In a pinch, though not quite as tasty, you could also use store-bought frozen meatballs.
But there’s more to Swedish Meatballs than that. We need to make an amazing sauce (and some butter noodles) to serve with them.
How do I make Better Than IKEA Swedish Meatballs?
First, melt butter in a skillet over medium high heat.
Add all purpose flour and whisk to combine.
Add beef broth, whisking constantly to prevent lumps. You could use vegetable broth, but beef broth is preferred in this recipe if you have it.
Cook for a few minutes and it should look something like this.
Continue to cook until it darkens a bit in color and when you run a spatula across the pan, you can do this.
Toss the meatballs and parsley into the finished sauce.
Cook just until the meatballs are warmed through.
While this is happening, take this opportunity to cook your butter noodles. Or, you may prefer mashed potatoes which is also acceptable.
Serve the meatballs over the noodles with some of the sauce. Garnish with parsley. At IKEA this meal is served with Lingonberry Jam but here in the U.S., feel free to substitute with Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce.
Our family really enjoyed this recipe. I hope you give it a try! 🙂
One last bite shot. Are you drooling yet?
Did you make my recipe for Better Than IKEA Swedish Meatballs? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought. You can also tag me on Instagram @aimee_stock. I always love seeing what you come up with!
As always, I appreciate your likes, comments, shares and PINS. It helps so much 🙂
Better Than IKEA Swedish Meatballs!
- Non-Stick Skillet
FOR THE MEATBALLS:
- 1 batch BASIC MEATBALL RECIPE (see link in blog post)
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 4 tbsp Butter or Margarine
- 1/2 c All Purpose Flour
- 3 to 4 c Beef Broth you could also use Vegetable Broth
- 3/4 c Sour Cream
- 2 tbsp Parsley
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 4 c Egg Noodles
- To make the gravy, melt butter in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add flour and whisk to combine, cooking for just a minute or so. Doing this removes that raw flour taste.
- Slowly add beef broth, whisking to combine and remove any lumps. This takes a few minutes to achieve.
- Next, add the sour cream and whisk to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cook until slightly thickened and add parsley.
- Add previously prepared meatballs to the sauce to warm through. Alternately, you could also make this recipe with store-bought frozen meatballs, but ours are tastier 🙂
- Serve over cooked egg noodles (or mashed potatoes).