You could not find a more delicious, or economical, recipe than these Easy Chinese Scallion Pancakes! Served with a simple soy dipping sauce, they make a fantastic appetizer.
I bought a HUGE bunch of green onions (scallions) at Walmart for 58 cents!!!! and my gosh, I didn’t know what to do with all of them! So I started researching recipes and found several versions of this one. Yum!
One question I had was … could I save what I didn’t use? And were they “freezable”? Here’s what I learned.
How to freeze Green Onions / Scallions / Spring Onions:
- Wash your scallions in cold water and thoroughly dry, moisture will cause freezer burn
- Using a sharp knife, cut into small pieces
- Place into a freezer-safe zip bag or jar, do not compact
- Freeze for up to several months, they defrost in minutes
How to make Easy Chinese Scallion Pancakes:
The dough recipe contains just 3 ingredients. All purpose flour, boiling water and a pinch of salt.
Oil a bowl, coat the dough and then cover and allow to rest for about 45 minutes.
Cut the dough into four equal pieces and then roll into thin round. Roll that round into a long cigarette shape and then roll that log into a circle (as shown).
Next, roll the pinwheel again into a thin round, brush with either soy sauce or sesame oil and top with green onions.
Roll the round into another long cigarette, roll the log again into a pinwheel and finally, roll into a thin, flattened round.
These steps create all of those flaky. light layers in our dough which allow for a tender interior but crisp exterior.
Cover the finished round with your towel and continue until you’ve made all four pancakes before proceeding.
TIP! If the dough seems to be “fighting” you when rolling, just move on to another and come back to it. This gives the dough a chance to relax.
In a pan over medium-high heat, add a very small amount of oil and then add your pancake. Give the pan a swirls so that the oil distributes under the pancake. Allow to cook for 4-5 minutes, checking occasionally.
When the pancake is done, an optional step is to brush with sesame oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
Cut each round into 4 equal wedges.
Crispy, full of tender layers…these are AMAZING!
The sauce can be as simple as soy sauce with green onions, or you can use the recipe in the printable card below.
Did you make this recipe for Easy Chinese Scallion Pancakes? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought. You can also tag me on Instagram @aimee_stock I always love seeing what you guys come up with! 🙂
I always appreciate your likes, comments, shares and PINS. It really helps a lot!
Easy Chinese Scallion Pancakes
- Non-Stick Skillet
FOR THE DOUGH:
- 1 1/4 c Flour
- 3/4 c Boiling Water cooled slightly for a minute or two
- pinch Salt
FOR THE PANCAKES:
- 1/2 c Scallions / Green Onions / Spring Onions chopped
- Sesame Oil (or traditional oil) for brushing the cooked pancakes
- Vegetable Oil for cooking and some for the resting bowl
FOR THE SESAME/SOY DIPPING SAUCE:
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce I prefer low sodium
- 1 tbsp Vinegar White, Apple Cider OR Rice Wine Vinegar will work
- 1 tbsp Scallions / Green Onions / Spring Onions chopped
- 1/2 tsp Sesame Oil
- Minced Garlic to taste
TO MAKE THE DOUGH:
- Combine the flour, boiling water (that you have allowed to cool for a minute or two) and a pinch of salt. Depending on your climate, you may need slightly more (or less) water so start slow and add if the dough seems too dry.
- Mix until the dough just comes together. Bring the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth (about 4 minutes). Add flour as needed to avoid sticking.
- Place the dough into an oiled bowl and cover with a towel. Allow to rest for about 45 minutes. Please note this dough will not rise, but resting is just to relax the dough.
TO MAKE THE PANCAKES:
- Cut the dough into 4 pieces and roll each into a thin round. Approximately 6-8 inches.
- Roll each round up like a cigarette (log) and form into a pinwheel, pinching the end in so it adheres.
- Roll once again into a thin round.
- Brush with a teaspoon or so of sesame oil (or vegetable oil) and sprinkle with a good amount of green onions.
- Now repeat rolling each round up like a cigarette (log) and form into a pinwheel, pinching the end in so it adheres.
- Final step, roll into a thin round.
- Add a small amount of oil to a non-stick skillet over medium high heat and add one pancake at a time. Cook for about 4 minutes per side, or until browned. Flip and cook another 4 minutes, or until browned.
- Place the pancakes on a paper towel to drain and continue cooking until all are cooked.
TO MAKE THE SESAME/SOY DIPPING SAUCE:
- Combine all ingredients with a fork. Alternately, you could simply just use soy sauce and green onions.
- Just before serving, you could brush the pancakes with a bit of sesame oil and give a sprinkling of salt for even more flavor.
- Dip pancakes into the sesame/soy dipping sauce and enjoy! 🙂