These Cheesy Corn Fritters are the perfect appetizer, but in our family, we enjoy them as a meal. Served simply with a side of sour cream, they are just really delicious.
This recipe comes together quickly, so I find it really helpful to measure out and prepare everything ahead of time. If you are using canned you’ll need to drain and dry the corn on a paper towel before proceeding.
Add the milk, egg, lemon juice, mild green chiles and finely diced onion.
Next, add the shredded cheddar (or cheddar blend), chopped parsley, salt, pepper, garlic powder, baking powder and paprika. Like a bit more kick? Consider using cayenne powder instead.
Lastly, add the flour. I save this for last because the mixture becomes very thick and to add it earlier would make incorporating the other ingredients more challenging. Set the mixture aside while you preheat the pan.
I’m using a medium cookie scoop and got about 16 two inch fritters from this mixture. You could always use a larger scoop and/or double the recipe for even more deliciousness!
To the preheated pan, add oil and scoop the mixture into small mounds. Use the back of the scoop to flatten the mounds a bit. Allow to cook over medium heat until the tops lose that glossy appearance and the bottoms of the fritters are golden. They will still be a bit fragile at this point, but firm up quickly as they cool.
While you may want to cook these over medium high heat, it’s important that the fritters are allowed enough time to thoroughly cook through. Therefore, I recommend a medium heat (or even lower) if they seem to be browning too quickly.
Drain any excess oil from the fritters using a plate lined with paper towels. Be careful. That oil is still very hot! Immediately hit them with a sprinkling of salt.
The result is a slightly crisp exterior and an almost cakey, tender interior. I serve them with sour cream for dipping, but feel free to use an aioli or something similar.
Did you make these Cheesy Corn Fritters? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought.
And if you enjoyed the recipe, consider sharing, liking, commenting and/or pinning the recipe. It helps out so much 🙂
Cheesy Corn Fritters
- Non-Stick Skillet
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil you may need more for the next batch
FOR THE CORN FRITTERS:
- 1 can Sweet Corn drained and patted dry
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 1 large Egg
- 2 tbsp Mild Green Chiles
- 2 tbsp Onion finely diced
- 1/2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 3/4 c Shredded Cheddar or Cheddar Blend
- 2 tbsp Parsley chopped
- 3/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt or more to taste
- 1/8 tsp Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 c All Purpose Flour
- pinch Salt
- Sour Cream
- Parsley for garnish
- In a mixing bowl, add the corn, milk, egg, lemon juice, green chiles and diced onion.
- Add the cheese and remaining ingredients except flour.
- Finally, add in the flour. Set aside.
- Preheat a pan over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Using a cookie scoop, place mounds of the batter and flatten slightly.
- Cook in batches slowly over medium heat, decreasing the heat if necessary. You'll know when to flip when the fritters lose their glossy appearance on top and are golden on the bottom. Flip and repeat until cooked through.
- Place onto a paper towel lined plate and drain any excess oil. Sprinkle with salt immediately.
- Serve with sour cream and garnish with parsley.