This Crispy Honey Chicken Recipe is better than takeout and it’s really simple to make! No need for a ton of oil to deep fry, this is shallow pan fry and it works perfectly well.
Crispy on the outside, tender on the inside and a sweet/salty sauce that you will go nuts over. Let’s make this!
How to make Cripsy Honey Chicken
The first thing we need to make is the marinade. It consists of soy sauce (low sodium is always best), rice wine vinegar and an egg white.
Whisk the marinade just to combine and then add the chicken, giving it about 30 minutes if you can.
Breading the chicken
In a separate bowl, add the flour. I’m using an unusual but effective method to bread the chicken, so stick with me on this one! Add all of the chicken AND all of the marinade to the flour. Using your hands, continue to toss until you get this craggy look, shaking off any excess.
Frying the chicken
We’re ready to fry and I have to say, I am not a fan of using a ton of oil and deep frying. Shallow frying works just as well and you just need to flip the chicken once it’s golden.
Keep an eye on the temperature. Too high and they will burn. Too low and your breading will absorb all of the oil. When done right, the oil fries the chicken but is not all absorbed into it and that’s the goal.
Remove the chicken to paper towels to drain any excess oil. They will crisp as they sit.
Making the sauce
While the chicken is frying I gather all of the ingredients for the sauce. They include:
- Rice Wine Vinegar
- White Vinegar
- Soy Sauce
- Garlic (optional)
- Vegetable (or chicken) Stock (I use Better Than Bouillon)
In a new pan over medium high heat, add the sauce mixture and bring to a boil. Combine 4 tsp of cornstarch with 4 tsp of water and add to the boiling liquid, whisking until thickened slightly.
Toss the chicken into the sauce and cook for 1-2 minutes or until the sauce thickens and coats the chicken. Remove from the heat and continue to toss. As it cools slightly, that sauce will thicken to the consistency of honey and will really coat the pieces. Top with sesame seeds and green onions.
The end result is a crispy exterior with a tender interior. It’s sticky and sweet, served over white rice…this is one I’ll be making over and over again. Time to make an egg roll recipe, right? I’m on it! 😉
Did you make my Crispy Honey Chicken Recipe? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought!
Crispy Honey Chicken Recipe
- Non-Stick Skillet
FOR THE MARINATED CHICKEN:
- 1 lb Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs trimmed and cut into 1" pieces, you can use chicken breast, but thighs are much more tender
- 2 tbsp Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Rice Wine Vinegar you can sub vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 large Egg White discard the yolk or use in an omelet tomorrow morning! 🙂
- 1 c All Purpose Flour
- Neutral Oil for Frying
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 3/4 c Vegetable Broth you could also use chicken broth
- 2 tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar if you don't have this, substitute with more broth
- 1 tbsp White Vinegar
- 5 tbsp Honey
- 2 tbsp Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1/3 c White Sugar
- Garlic minced, OPTIONAL
- pinch Red Pepper Flakes OPTIONAL
FOR THE CORNSTARCH SLURRY:
- 4 tsp Cornstarch
- 4 tsp Water
- Green Onions
- Toasted White Sesame Seeds
- Cooked White Rice
- pinch Salt for finishing
- Whisk together the marinade ingredients and add the chicken pieces. Set aside for at least 15-30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add the flour. Dump the chicken along WITH ALL OF THE MARINADE to the flour. Toss with your hands until you get a craggy look and all of the chicken is evenly coated.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium high heat and add oil. Be sure test one piece to be sure it's hot enough. You should see a little sizzle. You will likely have to fry in two batches. Avoid overcrowding the pan.
- Remove fried chicken pieces to paper towels to drain. Repeat frying the second batch until all of the chicken it fried.
- Whisk together the sauce ingredients and prepare the cornstarch mixture so it's ready.
- Meanwhile, in a new skillet, add the sauce and cook until boiling. Add the cornstarch and continue to cook until thickened. Add the chicken pieces back to the pan cooking for another 1-2 minutes to warm. Remove from the heat, continue to toss. As it cools, it will thicken and coat the chicken pieces.
- Serve over cooked white rice and garnish with green onions and toasted white sesame seeds. Be sure to give it a final pinch of salt. It really brings out that sweet/salty flavor. Enjoy!