This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. To learn more, please read my disclosure policy.
Last Updated on August 9, 2021 by Aimee
This Homemade Naan Bread Recipe is so soft and chewy and it’s really easy to make. If you are a beginning bread maker, this one is for you!
How to make my Homemade Naan Bread Recipe
You can make this dough by hand, but I prefer an electric mixer. It does all the work for you.
Combine the yeast, sugar and water and mix until combined. Allow to sit for 10 minutes or until it gets foamy. This is how you know the yeast is active. Follow with the remaining ingredients and allow the mixer to continue to knead the dough for a few minutes. Finish the kneading by hand and you’ll know it’s ready when it’s soft and smooth. Place in a bowl and cover with a damp towel.
Allow the dough to rise in a warm place for about an hour, or until doubled. I use this yeast and it is amazing.
Divide the dough into four equal pieces and roll into a smooth ball.
Roll each ball into a flat, thin disk. Allow to rest while the pan preheats.
In a non-stick skillet over high heat, add a teaspoon of oil and one piece of dough at a time. When it bubbles, it’s ready to flip.
It should be browned and a bit charred in places like this. Allow the second side to cook until it looks the same. Remove to a plate and continue until the rest are cooked.
Just look how tender these are. I love them warm right from the pan but …
They are even better brushed with garlic butter and a bit of chopped parsley.
Did you make my Homemade Naan Bread Recipe? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought! You can also tag me on Instagram @aimee_stock I love seeing your creations 🙂
Homemade Naan Bread Recipe
- Electric Mixer (optional)
- Non-Stick Skillet
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 1/4 c Warm (not hot) Water
- 1 1/8 tsp Active Dry Yeast
- 1 1/8 c All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 c Yogurt plain or Greek
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Oil plus more for pan frying
- 1 tbsp Butter melted
- 1/8 tsp Garlic minced
- Parsley chopped
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, add the warm water, yeast and sugar. Stir until combined and allow to sit for 10 minutes or until foamy.
- Add the remaining ingredients and allow the mixer to continue to knead the dough until smooth. Finish kneading by hand until soft and smooth.
- Place the dough into a bowl and cover with a damp towel, placing it in a warm place for at least an hour or until doubled in size.
- Divide the dough into four equal pieces and shape into a ball. Using a rolling pin, form into flat disks. They do not need to be perfectly round. Allow to rest while you preheat the pan.
- In a non-stick skillet over high heat, add about 1/2 tsp of oil and cook one disk of dough at a time. When it begins to bubble, flip and repeat. It should be golden and slightly charred in places. Remove to a plate and repeat until all four are cooked.
- Melt butter with garlic and parsley. Brush over the Naan bread and serve warm.