This Classic Banana Bread Recipe has been in my family for years and comes from an old Betty Crocker cook book. I haven’t changed much, it’s a classic for a reason. We make it both with, and without, chopped walnuts. I love these little mini loaf pans and will include a link for you below. But first, let me show you how I make them!
How to make this Classic Banana Bread Recipe
The best part about this recipe is that you likely have all of the ingredients at home! To the beaten ripe bananas, add 2 eggs, milk, baking powder, baking soda, flour, vegetable shortening, sugar and salt.
To add nuts, or not to add nuts…that is the question. Half of our family says “yes” and the other half prefers the banana bread without nuts. If you do decide to add them, stir them in as they have a tendency to really rise to the top during baking.
As promised, here is a link to that pan. This was an old Wilton pan I’ve had forever. They have since improved and are now non-stick!
Do not over mix this batter and you will get this perfect, light and airy texture every single time. Allow the bread to cool and wrap each loaf individually with foil. You can freeze these for a few months or refrigerate for a few days. Slice and slather with your favorite butter. SO good!
Looking for something a bit different in your banana bread? I highly recommend trying this Brown Sugar Banana Bread. It’s banana bread taken to a whole new level!
Did you make this Classic Banana Bread Recipe? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought! You can also tag me on Instagram @aimee_stock I always love seeing your creations!
Classic Banana Bread Recipe
- Stand (or Hand) Mixer
- Standard Loaf Pan OR Mini Loaf Pan (6-8 loaves)
FOR THE WET INGREDIENTS:
- 3 medium Ripe Bananas
- 1/3 c Vegetable Shortening you could also use butter or margarine, but I use shortening
- 2-3 tbsp Milk I use 3 tbsp for a more tender bread
- 2 large Eggs
FOR THE DRY INGREDIENTS:
- 1 3/4 c All Purpose Flour
- 2/3 c Sugar
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 c Chopped Walnuts OPTIONAL
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly coat desired pan with cooking spray. This recipe will make one standard loaf or fill 6-8 mini muffin pans.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, to the beaten ripe bananas, add 2 eggs, milk, baking powder, baking soda, flour, vegetable shortening, sugar and salt.
- Blend just until incorporated. Over mixing will create a tougher bread. Divide evenly between loaf pans or place into one standard loaf pan. If adding nuts, do so now.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes for a mini loaf pan or 55-60 minutes for a standard loaf pan. A toothpick inserted should come clean with just a few crumbs.
- Cool completely and wrap in foil. Refrigerate and/or freeze. Serve with butter.