This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. To learn more, please read my disclosure policy.
Last Updated on August 9, 2021 by Aimee
You will be amazed at just how simple this Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes and Ham Recipe is to throw together. Perfect weeknight casserole with meat and veggies all in one! Let me show you how I made it.
This is just baked ham. We had a small ham with some leftover from Christmas. I sent chunks through my food processor using the slicing blade. If you don’t have a food processor, just use your knife to make thin (but not too thin) slices. You’ll have a variety of sizes which is perfect. I froze it in this freezer safe glass container in anticipation of this dish.
Next come the potatoes and I like using Russets with the skin on. This means you need to really scrub those potatoes when you get them home from the grocery store. To get similar sized pieces, I cut one Russet into long quarters so they fit through the processor chute. They are the same size and thickness as the ham now.
Last but not least, I send my onion through the same processor. When I said this recipe was quick, I wasn’t joking 🙂 Again, the onions are now the same size and thickness of the other ingredients.
How to make a roux
To make the sauce, we must first begin with a simple roux. Fancy name for a white sauce. It begins with adding flour to melted butter, whisking for a minute or two until smooth.
To that, slowly (and I mean slowly) add your milk while whisking constantly to prevent lumps. If you do get a few, they are easy to whisk out again as the sauce thickens. Easier to prevent them now however.
You’ll see I still have a few lumps which I whisked out when the sauce thickened a bit more.
Let’s layer the potatoes, onions and ham.
Two layers of the ingredients, each with a layer of a mild white cheese. I’m using mozzarella.
Pour your sauce over the entire casserole and bake at 350 F until the top is golden and it’s bubbling. Using a knife, test your potatoes for doneness.
It should look something like this. Give it a few minute to cool before serving.
This is one of my go-to favorites. If you make my Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes and Ham Recipe, leave a comment below and let me know what you thought. You can also tag me with photos on Instagram @aimee_stock I love seeing your creations! 🙂
Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes and Ham Recipe
- Food Processor
- 13 x 9 Baking Dish
- Non-Stick Skillet
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 3 tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 2 c Milk whatever you've got on hand
- 1/2 c Mozzarella or other shredded mild white cheese
- 2 lbs Russet Potatoes thinly sliced
- 1 small Onion thinly sliced
- 2 c Baked Ham thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Prep your ingredients by slicing, either by hand or in a food processor, the ham, potatoes and onion. Try to keep them relatively the same size so they cook at the same speed.
- Place half of the potatoes in a baking dish, following by half of the ham and onions. Top with half of the cheese. Repeat this process one more time.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt butter and stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Gradually whisk in the milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Bake, covered, 45-60 minutes until bubbling around the edges, golden on top and potatoes are fork-tender.