This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. To learn more, please read my disclosure policy.
Last Updated on February 24, 2021 by Aimee
I love one-pan meals and my Smothered Pork Chops Recipe is one you’ll want to make again and again. So tender and delicious with LOTS of flavor!
How to make my One-Pan Smothered Pork Chops Recipe
The first step is to brown the pork chops in both oil and butter. The pork chops will not be cooked through at this point, they’ll finish cooking in the flavorful liquid.
Once brown on both sides, remove to a plate and cover with foil.
Next, add a bit more butter and saute the onions until tender and golden. They’ll take on some of the flavor from the pork.
While the onions are cooking, clean and slice the mushrooms.
You can use a canned or boxed broth, but if you ever have the opportunity to try Better Than Bouillon (not sponsored), I highly recommend it. You just add the concentrate to boiling water and what I love is how you can make it as strong as you’d like. Just whisk until it all melts and you have the most delicious broth. I’ll never go back!
Just look at that rich, dark color of the vegetable broth! Add to the mushrooms and using a spoon, scrape up any brown bits from the pan. That’s pure flavor!
Bring to a boil.
Add the cream and cook for a minute or two.
Add the pork (and any accumulated juices) back to the pan. Reduce the heat to a simmer and continue to cook for about 3 minutes or until the pork is completely cooked through. A thermometer inserted should read 145 degrees Farenheit. Remove the pork and allow to rest for another 3 minutes or so.
What you end up with is the most delicious and moist pork chop with a rich and flavorful sauce. I served mine over white rice, but you could opt for potatoes.
The onions are tender and caramelized, it’s just so yummy.
Did you make my Smothered Pork Chops Recipe? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought! You can also tag me on Instagram @aimee_stock. I always love seeing what you come up with!
Smothered Pork Chops Recipe
- Non-Stick Skillet
FOR THE PORK CHOPS:
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Butter
- 1/2 tsp Poultry Seasoning don't skip this part! 🙂
- 1/8 tsp Ground Pepper
- 2 Boneless (or Bone-In) Pork Chops
FOR THE GRAVY:
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 medium Onion thinly sliced
- pinch Salt
- 1/2 c Vegetable Broth
- 1/4 c Heavy (or Whipping) Cream
- 1 tbsp Parsley chopped
- Season pork chops with poultry seasoning and pepper.
- Heat oil AND butter in a skillet over medium-high heat and add pork chops, searing for 5 minutes per side, until golden brown. Transfer to a plate and covered with foil. The pork will NOT be fully cooked at this point.
- To the same skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add sliced onions and a pinch of salt, cooking onions until tender and caramelized. About 12-15 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth and using a spatula or wooden spoon, scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. That is where the flavor is.
- Whisk in the heavy cream and simmer for a minute or two.
- Return pork chops and any juices to the skillet.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and continue to cook for a few more minutes, or until pork is completely cooked through (145 degrees Farenheit) and the sauce has thickened to your liking. I like to allow the pork to rest for about 3 minutes before serving.
- Remove from heat; garnish with parsley and serve with rice or potatoes.