This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. To learn more, please read my disclosure policy.
Last Updated on April 29, 2023 by Aimee
These Blackened Cod Fish Tacos hit all of the right notes! The cod is seared using blackened seasoning, topped with a coleslaw mix, freshly made Pico de Gallo and a homemade Creamy Chipotle Sauce. Served street taco style, these little bites are full of very big flavor. Let me show you how to make them.
Ingredients needed to make the Blackened Cod
To prepare the Blackened Cod, you will need the following ingredients. They include:
- Cod Fish Fillets (frozen and defrosted are fine)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Lime Juice + Zest
- Blackened Seasoning (OR you can make your own. I have included a recipe in the printable recipe card below)
- A Ziplock bag is optional. I only suggest marinating this for about 30 minutes or so.
How to sear the Blackened Cod Fish
Add a small amount of oil and butter to a non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Sear the cod on the first side until golden and a crust has formed. This should take about 4 minutes or so depending on size. Flip and repeat. The internal temperature should reach 145 degrees and the now firm cod should flake easily with a fork as shown here.
How to char the tortillas
I am using the small street tacos for this recipe and each taco gets two of them. I place them in a hot, dry skillet and char them for added flavor. This also helps to soft them up before serving. Place the charred tortillas between two damp kitchen towels until ready for assembly.
How to assemble the Blackened Cod Fish Tacos
Layer two of your charred street tacos and place the coleslaw mix into the bottom. Top with a generous portion of the Blackened Cod Fish and finally, top that with the Pico de Gallo.
Drizzle the sauce generously over the warm fish tacos, add a few lime wedges for squeezing and cilantro for garnish and you have on stunning and delicious entree!
Just look at that plate! I promise you will love this one. Super flavorful and easy to make.
Did you make my Blackened Cod Fish Tacos with Creamy Chipotle Sauce recipe? Leave a comment below and let me know what you thought. And…if you enjoyed this recipe, please share it with a friend 🙂
Blackened Cod Fish Tacos
- Non-Stick Skillet
- Food Processor
FOR THE BLACKENED COD FISH:
- 4 Cod Filets if using frozen, thaw and pat dry
- 1 tsp Blackened Seasoning store bought (or get the recipe below)
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 Lime juice and zest
- pinch Salt omit if it's included in your Blackened Seasoning
FOR HOMEMADE BLACKENED SEASONING:
- 1 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne
- 3/4 tsp Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1/4 tsp Dried Oregano
FOR ASSEMBLING THE TACOS:
- 1 pkg Small Street Tacos charred
- 1 pkg Coleslaw Mix this is just the cabbage mixture, no dressing
- 1 recipe Homemade Pico de Gallo (see link in blog post)
- 1 recipe Homemade Creamy Chipotle Sauce (see link in blog post)
- Cilantro for garnish
- Lime Wedges for squeezing
TO MAKE THE BLACKENED COD FISH:
- Add the blackened seasoning to the cod, tossing well to coat. Preheat a non stick skillet over medium high heat, adding oil and butter. Place the cod onto the hot skillet and do not move for 4-5 minutes or until it is seared and naturally releases itself. Flip and repeat on the other side. The internal temperature should be 145 degrees.
- Allow the fish to rest for a minute and using two forks, create large chunks.
TO ASSEMBLE THE TACOS:
- Char the tortillas in a skillet over medium high heat until soft and pliable. Stack two tortillas together and add the coleslaw (cabbage) mixture. Top with the chunks of cod and the Pico de Gallo (recipe link in blog post).
- Drizzle with the Creamy Chipotle Sauce (recipe link in blog post), serve with a wedge of lime for squeezing and garnish with cilantro.