This Creamy Gnocchi with Butternut Squash and Spinach was so amazingly delicious, it is difficult to find the words to describe it! That parmesan cream sauce is just … yum! You can make your own gnocchi or use store bought which is equally as good and provides a nice shortcut. Let’s make this!
How to roast butternut squash
The first thing you’ll need to do is roast the butternut squash. I used a standard peeler to remove the skin, then sliced it into planks so that I could get perfect cubes. Try to keep these bite-sized – about 1 inch squares.
From there, just place on a sheet pan, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast the squash until tender, about 25 minutes.
How to cook gnocchi
I first boil the gnocchi per package instructions. Generally they are done when they float to the top. Then, I pan fry them in butter until golden.
How to make Creamy Gnocchi with Butternut Squash and Spinach
Once golden, I add plenty of fresh spinach and cook just until wilted slightly.
Next, add in your previously roasted butternut squash cubes. Since they are already cooked, this will just help them warm through and meld with the other flavors.
Add freshly grated parmesan.
And heavy cream to make the sauce. Continue cooking until the sauce is thickened slightly.
Continue cooking until the sauce is thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
Garnish with fresh parsley and maybe another sprinkling of parmesan just before serving. This one is not only delicious, but just a gorgeous dish full of color.
Did you make my recipe for this Creamy Gnocchi with Butternut Squash and Spinach? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought! You can also tag me with photos of your creations on Instagram at @aimee_stock
Creamy Gnocchi with Butternut Squash and Spinach
- Large stock pot
- Non-Stick Skillet
- 1 package Potato Gnocchi fresh, ready to cook
- 1 medium Butternut Squash peeled, seeds removed, cubed, seasoned and roasted until tender
- 2 c Fresh Baby Spinach
- 1 c Heavy Cream
- 1/2 c Parmesan plus more for serving
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel butternut squash with peeler, slice, remove seeds and cut into 1" cubes. Toss with oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 20-30 minutes or until the squash is fork tender.
- Meanwhile, boil the gnocchi. They are done when they float to the top in just a minute or two. Immediately place drained gnocchi into the skillet with butter over high heat. Toss until golden.
- Add spinach and cook for 1 minute, until just barely wilted.
- Add parmesan and cream. Stir until smooth and cook until thickened. Taste for seasoning, adding additional salt and pepper, to taste.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve with a sprinkling of parmesan.