When I was younger, and maybe I’m dating myself here, we used to buy boxes of a product called Snackin’ Cake by Betty Crocker. We topped it with whipped cream and it came in a few flavors, including Golden Chocolate Chip. So this Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Snack Cake is my ode to that no-longer-produced, childhood favorite.
The sales pitch behind Snackin’ cake was “You mix, bake and serve it right in the same pan.” and it was “Something special to eat. Nothing much to clean up.” Things were so simple then. But I loved that cake. So let’s make Snackin’ Cake … but better!
To the bowl of a stand mixer, add butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla and canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling).
Add milk and mix until well combined.
Next, add in the flour.
Followed by baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Mix until well combined.
Last, but not least, add the mini milk chocolate chips. I think mini’s really work best in this recipe. I reserve a few for the top.
If you’d like to add nuts, 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts would be lovely in this recipe.
Using an offset spatula, spread the batter evenly in a pan that you have both misted with cooking spray and lined with parchment for ease of removal.
Sprinkle those reserved chips. You can give them a little press if you prefer. I just like the aesthetic since we aren’t frosting this cake.
Bake at 350 degrees until a toothpick inserted comes clean. Allow to cool for 30 minutes, then remove to a rack to finish cooling completely.
Serve with fresh whipped cream and enjoy!
Did you make my recipe for Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Snack Cake? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought! Also, comment if you remember Snackin’ Cake 😉
You can also tag me with your photos on Instagram @aimee_stock I love seeing what you come up with!
FOR MORE DESSERTS, click here!
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Snack Cake
- 8×8 Baking Pan
- Parchment Paper
- Non Stick Cooking Spray
- 8 tbsp Butter melted and cooled
- 1 ¼ c Sugar
- 3 large Eggs
- 1 c Canned Pumpkin Puree not pumpkin pie filling
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 3/4 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 ¾ c All Purpose Flour
- ⅓ c Milk
- 3/4 cup miniature chocolate chips reserve some for sprinkling on top
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts Optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray and line an 8×8 baking pan. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the sugar, melted and cooled butter, eggs, pumpkin puree, milk, and vanilla. Mix until well incorporated.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. Mix just until combined.
- Add the chocolate chips and fold in by hand. Reserve a few for the top.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan using an offset spatula and sprinkle the reserved chocolate chips over top of the batter.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes clean.
- Cool and serve with whipped cream. For garnish, you can dust the top of the whipped cream with either the pumpkin spice or cinnamon. Enjoy!