This post contains affiliate links. To learn more, please read my disclosure policy.
Last Updated on January 3, 2022 by Aimee Stock
This Easy Chicken Teriyaki Recipe comes together in just about half an hour! It’s a delicious 10 minute marinade, half of which is thickened with cornstarch to create the rich and velvety pan sauce. Serve with white rice, steamed broccoli and you have a meal that is so much tastier than take out!
How to make the chicken teriyaki marinade
To make the marinade, you’ll need:
- Soy sauce
- Brown sugar
- Rice wine vinegar (if you don’t have it, use white wine or just omit)
- Minced garlic (or garlic powder)
- Minced ginger (or ground ginger)
We’ll use about 1/3 of the marinade for the chicken and the rest to make the sauce. I sometimes use a plastic zip lock bag for marinating so that I can toss and turn the chicken but you can also just use a bowl. The chicken only needs about 10 minutes.
How to grill the chicken
I really love a grill pan for cooking the chicken thighs. This is a favorite of mine.
Heat the pan over high heat and cook the marinated chicken thighs for about 5-7 minutes per side to get that sear. Keep checking so they don’t get charred. A thermometer inserted should read 165 degrees. Just look at how juicy that chicken is. Yum! Allow to rest and then slice into strips.
CHEF’S TIP: Because we will be fully cooking the sauce, add any of the remaining marinade to it. You would not want to use it again if you weren’t cooking it since it came in contact with raw chicken.
How to make the chicken teriyaki sauce
Using the reserved 2/3 of the marinade mixture, whisk in the cornstarch.
Using the same pan, add the broth/cornstarch mixture and use a rubber spatula to scrape and stir. Those browned bits in the bottom are full of flavor! The sauce will thicken quite quickly. Remove it from the heat.
You can toss the chicken strips with the sauce or drizzle over. It’s very rich, so you don’t need much. Serve with white rice, steamed broccoli and of course, a sprinkling of sesame seeds and sliced green onions.
The chicken is so tender and juicy, I just had to show you a bite shot. You will make this sauce over and over again, it’s just that good!
You could also use this same sauce on vegetables or even tofu.
Did you make my Easy Chicken Teriyaki Recipe? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought! You can also tag me with your photos on Instagram @aimee_stock I love seeing what you come up with 🙂
Also be sure to try my most popular recipe: The Original Orange Chicken by Panda Express
Easy Chicken Teriyaki Recipe
- 1 Grill Pan
- 3 Chicken Thighs boneless, skinless and trimmed
FOR THE MARINADE:
- 1/2 c Soy Sauce low sodium is preferred
- 1/2 c Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp Rice Vinegar if you don't have it, you could use white wine or just omit it
- 1/4 c Water
- Garlic minced, to taste – you could also use garlic powder
- Ginger minced, to taste – you could also use ground ginger
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 2/3 Marinade from above
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
FOR SERVING + GARNISH:
- Green Onions/Scallions sliced
- Sesame Seeds white, black or both
- White Rice cooked to package instructions
- Broccoli steamed
- pinch Salt for finishing the dish
- Whisk together the marinade ingredients and pour 1/3 of it into a zip top bag or separate bowl.
- Trim 3 to 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs and add to the marinade tossing occasionally to coat. About 10 minutes – or more if you have the time.
- Meanwhile, cook your rice and broccoli.
- To the remaining 2/3 of the sauce, add the cornstarch and whisk to combine.
- Preheat a grill pan and add the chicken. Cook, undisturbed for 5-7 minutes to get that sear. Check occasionally so it doesn't get too dark. A thermometer inserted should read 165 degrees. Remove to cutting board to rest, then cut into strips. NOTE: Discard the marinade that came into contact with the chicken or cook it with the sauce. It must be cooked to be used.
- Add the sauce mixture to the same grill pan and using a rubber spatula, stir and scrape those bits off the bottom. Because of the cornstarch, the sauce will thicken quickly. Remove from the heat.
- Serve the chicken strips with a scoop of white rice, steamed broccoli and a sprinkling of sesame seeds. Don't forget those sliced green onions. They really add to the dish.