This post contains affiliate links. To learn more, please read my disclosure policy.
Last Updated on September 25, 2021 by Aimee Stock
The idea for this Korean Egg Bread Recipe, also known as Gyeran Bbang/Gyeran-ppang, came from my current obsession with viral YouTube cooking videos.
What is Korean Egg Bread?
Korean Egg Bread is a warm street food sold throughout Korea. They are fluffy, oblong-shaped sweet and savory loaves with a whole egg baked into the center of this pancake-like dough. Toppings vary, but today I am using cooked bacon, cheese and a garnish of fresh parsley. These did NOT disappoint. Let me show you how to make them!
How to make Korean Egg Bread
Mix eggs and sugar either in stand mixer, or using a hand mixer, until the sugar is dissolved.
Add all purpose flour, baking powder, vanilla extract, melted butter and milk (or heavy cream) into the bowl. Beat until there are no lumps and you have a smooth batter.
It should look like a thick pancake batter.
Place the batter into ramekins that you have prepared with cooking spray and place onto a lined baking sheet. Mine are about 10 ounce ramekins, but you’ll only want to fill them one third full as the batter will expand quite a bit.
Here are some that are similar (*affiliate link)
Crack an egg into the center of the batter and season with salt and pepper. It’s okay if it doesn’t sit directly in the center.
Top with shredded cheese, cooked bacon and chopped fresh parsley.
Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until the batter has set but the egg is still soft and runny. Allow to sit for a minute or two and serve warm.
When you break into the center, the egg should still be a bit runny and it makes for a delicious snack! That savory/sweet thing this recipe has going on is just about the best thing I have ever tasted!
Switch it up with a variety of toppings.
Did you make my Korean Egg Bread Recipe? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought! You can also tag me with your photos on Instagram @aimee_stock I love seeing your creations 🙂
Korean Egg Bread Recipe (Gyeran Bbang)
- Ramekins (about 1 cup capacity)
FOR THE BATTER:
- 3/4 c All Purpose Flour
- 2 large Eggs
- 1/2 c Butter melted
- 1/3 c Sugar
- 1/4 c Heavy Cream or Milk
- 3/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
FOR THE TOPPINGS:
- 4 large Eggs
- 2 slices Cooked Bacon, Ham, etc.
- 2 tbsp Shredded Cheese
- 1 tbsp Parsley chopped
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray ramekins with cooking spray. Place on a lined baking sheet. Set aside.
TO MAKE THE BATTER:
- Mix eggs and sugar in a stand mixer (or using a hand mixer) until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the remaining ingredients for the batter and mix until smooth with no lumps. It should resemble a thick pancake batter.
- Divide the batter between the four prepared ramekins.
- Add a whole egg to the center or the batter. Sprinkle with chopped cooked bacon or ham, shredded cheese and freshly chopped parsley.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the batter has set but the egg is still soft and runny.
- Allow to sit for a minute or two and serve immediately.