This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. To learn more, please read my disclosure policy.
Last Updated on April 30, 2023 by Aimee
This easy Pico de Gallo recipe is the authentic Mexican version of salsa that you have come to know and love. Full of fresh ingredients such as tomatoes, onion, jalapeño peppers, cilantro and lime, this is the perfect topper for my Blackened Cod Fish Tacos or for scooping with your favorite tortilla chips. Let me show you how to make it!
Ingredients needed to make Pico de Gallo
To make this recipe you will need the following ingredients. They include:
- Roma Tomatoes or Campari Tomatoes, finely diced
- White Onion, finely diced
- Jalapeno, seeds removed and finely diced
- Squeeze of Lime Juice
- Pinch of Salt
- and Cilantro (or Italian flat leaf parsley)
How to make Pico de Gallo
Sooo, let’s talk about cilantro. If you have followed me for awhile, you have heard me mention that a certain portion of the population has an inherited gene that makes cilantro taste like….well…soap if we are being completely honest.
For those of you who would like to research said gene, it is a smell-receptor gene cluster called OR6A2. Fascinating, I know. But for those of us (my family included), it tends to ruin recipes like this one. The solution is a simple swap out for Italian flat leaf parsley. Is it AS authentic, no. But it doesn’t taste like soap. So you do what you have to do 🙂
The tomatoes and white onion (not yellow) are also diced. Try to keep everything similar in size.
If you can find Campari or vine ripened tomatoes, they will be the most flavorful.
Finally, the jalapeño. Slice it in half lengthwise and using a spoon, remove the seeds and any white areas. Then slice and dice to the same size as the tomatoes and onions.
All that is left is to combine all of your prepped ingredients. I do like to let mine hang out in the fridge for a bit so that the flavors meld before serving.
Don’t forget that squeeze of lime juice and also a pinch of salt. Give a quick taste for seasoning then cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
This is the perfect party appetizer and these tortilla Scoops are the perfect vessel.
Also be sure to check out my Blackened Cod Fish Tacos where I used this Pico de Gallo and my Creamy Chipotle Sauce on top. They were amazing!
Did you make my Easy Pico de Gallo Recipe? Leave a comment below and let me know what you thought or how you served it. And if you enjoyed this post, please share it with a friend 🙂
Easy Pico de Gallo Recipe
- 3 large Roma or Campari Tomatoes seeds removed and diced
- 1/3 c White Onion dced
- 1/2 bunch Cilantro (or parsley)
- 1/2 Jalapeno Pepper seeds removed and diced
- 1/2 Lime juiced, or more to taste
- 1/4 tsp Salt or more to taste
- Prep the tomatoes, onion and jalapeño into a fine dice.
- Chop the cilantro and combine the ingredients with a squeeze of lime and a pinch of salt.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes prior to serving to allow the flavors to meld.
- Serve with tortilla chips or over my Blackened Cod Fish Tacos (link in blog post).