I was introduced to White Cheddar Mac & Cheese via a local steakhouse-type restaurant and I have been a fan ever since! This recipe is so simple, yet has incredible flavor. I’m using a more substantial pasta than the traditional macaroni which in my opinion, really elevates this dish! Serve with your favorite grilled steak. Add in some grilled chicken. That would be delicious!
Let’s make White Cheddar Mac & Cheese!
The first step is to make a white sauce which begins with melted butter and all-purpose flour. I’ll also be adding the seasonings at this point and they include: onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Feel free to make that white pepper if you’d like 🙂
To this mixture, I’ll slowly be adding the milk. Whisk to combine.
White cheddar is the star of this show, but you could always choose to mix it up by adding half white cheddar and half of another melting cheese.
Add a little at a time to the sauce mixture, whisking to combine.
Everything should be completely melted and this mixture should be very smooth in appearance at this point.
I pre-cooked my pasta, drained it and returned it to the original pot. Pour that cheesy goodness over the pasta, stirring well so that all of the pasta gets coated.
A side note… I used more pasta to sauce, but if you’d like it a bit creamier, feel free to cut back on the pasta measurement a bit.
Not only is this pasta ready to enjoy…
But it heats up well the following day!
Did you make this recipe for my White Cheddar Mac & Cheese? If so, leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought! And, if you enjoyed the recipe, consider PINNING it for later. As always, I so appreciate your likes, comments and shares. It really helps my little blog grow 🙂
White Cheddar Mac & Cheese
- 1 lb Cavatappi (or similar pasta)
- 1/4 c Butter
- 1/4 c All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Ground Pepper white or black
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1 c Milk
- 2 c White Cheddar shredded
- Parsley for garnish
- In a large stockpot, cook pasta in boiling, salted water according to package instructions. Drain and return to the same pot off of the heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt the butter, whisking in the flour and seasonings until smooth and creamy.
- Slowly add the milk while whisking constantly. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly and cook until desired thickness. About 5-7 minutes.
- Off of the heat, add the shredded cheese and stir until fully melted.
- Pour over the pasta and toss well to coat.
- Garnish with parsley before serving.